Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Much Do You Have Invested ?

Don't ask, Don't tell.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it..

I don't want to know.Reason #1:It will probably depress me because I always wanted a 1:1 '32 Ford Roadster,and I know it would have been payed for by now.Reason #2:My wife takes anti-depressants as it is and I don't want her to double the doseage amount if she had any inkling to know how much I have invested.She's cool with the hobby,but she hasn't any idea how the collection looks nowadays.She pretty much stays away from the man cave. ;)

Ditto, almost.

I want a 1:1 69 GTX

She don't take anti-depressant, Yet.. :rolleyes:

If she starts getting the mail before I can get to it,

She will.

I know for a fact I'm not even close to the #1 spot. Over the years I've gotten to visit, or see pictures of the stashes and hobby rooms of other modelers both on and off these forums, and I'm not even close to their level. One guy I visited last winter if I had to hazzard a guess, just off the top of my head I would value his collection at 100K or more.

There is one guy i saw on here or another forum that built a whole separate building in his back yard just for model building. There are a couple of local builders who have twice what I have easy, and probably paid a lot more for it too.

If it hadn't been for being in the business and being able to get the stuff on the cheap, I would never have been able to amass what I have. Here is a pic and a link to pictures of my hobby room.

IMG_2269-vi.jpg

http://public.fotki....new-hobby-room/

That looks more like my LHS that i visit 3-4 times a week. I truly admire you Hobby Room. :)

Like all addictions, styrene is no different. I would hate to find out, but something tells me that Harry is right. I could easily be driving a Porsche or a BMW by now, 15 or so years later. Do I regret any of it? Not one bit.

Besides the resident doctor at the Lab-RAT-ory informs me that it's a good alternative for my nerves! :lol::o:blink:;):wub:

I have a buddy, who used to give me a hard time. He'd say, why do you spend all that money just for a model car. you can buy one already assembled for $20.

But then I asked him... How much did that bass boat cost you? 45k? then the trailer, truck, bait, tackle sonar etc, he has at least 100K in his bass fishing. and fish costs how much at the grocery store? I am now forbidden to discuss his hobby with his wife...lol

I don't know how much I have invested or how manys kits,plastic or resin...I have either.but I don't worry about it.I enjoy it and sweetie don't care either.sweetie says I how were you are and that is the best.I stopped counting 20 years ago.beside my doc told me its good cause I'm pretty wound try so its a stress reliever and proble why I'm still alive.my job is a sound engineer and I love it but I come home very stressed alot.so its good for me.Thanks,Chris

eeehhh, i would say about 2-3k could be more, but i dont keep count of it cause its bought with money i sell my car parts with. like many that are married, it keeps us sane, home and out of trouble. the wifes like that..lols

Hmmm.... Let's see. I own 2 vintage Mopar's, have a room full of Basses & amplifiers, two complete roll-around tool chests, and a basement full of models.

Any further admission to how much I spend can be detrimental to my living arrangements, such as being INDOORS for the winter...... and it get's pretty cold here in NY eek.gif

I tend to agree with those who say they don't want to know.

But you know I also worry about the one day when Doctor Cranky gets called up for active duty in the eternal service of rust (euphemism for dying!) and my family would not have a clue about what to do with all this valuable junk!

It weighs on my mind every once in a while.

In a typical year I probably spend $1000-1500 so I would conservatively estimate the tools, paint, and stash at $10,000, but if some of the ebay prices can be believed it could be as high as $100,000 maybe more. :lol:

Seriously is anyone paying $50 for the 1984 GMC 4x4 (ex Fall guy truck) or $120 for the AMT Ford Interceptor police car? :blink: With the latest chop shop selling methods (selling all the parts individually) I've been seeing lately I might be able to push the stash value high enough to buy myself a helicopter.

Cranky, I've thought about putting little suggested price tags with pertinant info for selling just in case. I never get around to it though because I'd have to inventory everything and it would cut even further into my limited modelling time, plus it is kind of depressing. While I have spent considerably more on some kits, if she gets an average of $10 per kit that will still be a significant chunk of money to take care of bills until the life insurance kicks in.

I don't think you can call it a investment, basically it is all money down the drain. With an investment, there should be a profit noticable.

Sure, some kits make a few more bucks, but add it all up and it is one big loss....

But whocares? It is a hobby and they are ment to cost money, and like someone said before, divide it by the hours one spend on it and it ain't thát spendy.

I was afraid to think about how much I have spent on this hobby. But last night I could not sleep, so I went to my model room and ran through a quick estimate of just the basic kit costs, paint, supplies and model magazines. The low estimate is 5000.00 not counting die casts, shelving, or my work bench.

Thousands of dollars in kits and back-up versions, including supplies, books, videos, 1:1 memorabilia, and years of additional online research. Not to mention monthly mini-storage rental costs. And I'm just now getting around to building a kit. This is all due to the fact that my interest is in vintage cars that can't be found within 300 miles of my home and often exist only in Europe.

Edited by sjordan2

Well, after sitting down and going though my inventory lists I came up with this. With all the Plastic kits & Resin kits, tools , airbrushes & compressor, i figure that I've got about $25 K tied up in my obsession.

P.S. Don't tell the wife, or I'm dead.

I've spent more than that on aftermarket goodies for just one model!

I guess the amount of $$$ we spend on the hobby varies a lot!

Harry, I Doubled that number by May of this year, and have spent probably $400 more since then, and the year isn't out, keep in mind too that the $414 was in one year, I've been doing this now for nearly 7 years.

Nick