Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMC Community Build

Chuck Most

Here's a few of the AMC projects I have going. The first is my longest running project, started around 1990. Only thing from plastic Kenosha is the body, the rest is Callaway Corvette Speedster with a twin turbo ZR-1 engine and wheels/tires from a 66 Chevelle wagon. Stalled out when I decided it should be AMC powered with twin turbo's...that's as far as I got with that idea and there she sits.

Picture819.jpg

My 66 Rambler Cross Country wagon. In the sprit of the community build I'll enter this one cuz it just needs some final details to call it finished. ;) The boat was borrowed from another build and I plan to scratchbuild a pop-up camper for behind this one someday. Sorry bout the crappy pic.

IMG_6063.jpg

70 AMX- pieced together from a ebay built-up, interior tub from a 69 AMX kit, and a Modelhaus 70 conversion kit to replace the missing hood and front bumper. I need to get the bumpers rechromed, then this one will hit the bench. The 1/43rd '69 in the background will get a scratchbuilt hoodscoop, Mags /slicks, and a R/W/B paint job to make a Hurst SS AMX.

IMG_8111.jpg

also on deck is this Marlin. It's a nice mint kit and will get some degree of wiring and plumbing when I finally get around to it. Not sure I'll go with those wheels and tires, but I think they look good on there.

IMG_4429.jpg

71 AMX will get built curbside with Twin Canopy vinyl top, T-stripe and Machine wheels. Luckily the chunk of missing hood was in the box when it arrived at my door.

IMG_4231.jpg

Thanks for looking. Hope I didn't take too much space :P

Are the wheels on the Marlin from the AMT '66 Galaxie re-issue (I forget the specific series name)? I think Chuck was looking for those not too long ago, and I would love to see a close up pic of one, as they look like large diameter Radir wheels?

I say finish the R/W/B AMX first. B)

I think some of these Jav concepts would make excellent build material, too: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2011/04/25/jav-olution-the-seventies-javelin-that-never-was/

I'd planned to do the Rambler as a beater, and now I've got something to go by. Hopefully this means it will make its way back onto the bench.

Where're you gonna find a driver figure donning a pith helmet? :huh::D

• 2 weeks later...

Okay , I'm about half way with my current project so I moved this one onto my bench . I hope a Nash still qualifies as an AMC !

000_0008-1.jpg

I'm not sure of the year , maybe '54 or '55 ? I originally was going to do a pro street but have decided to do a mid 60's type hot rod , with pieces that would have been used back then .

I don't seem to be very good at doing a work - in - progress , so I'll just post photos when I'm finished . And maybe a couple updates along the way .

BOB .

Sorry for the long delay on my part of this CBP, but that's life right? I've got a ton of work done on my body kit to show, so sit back and enjoy, unless you're working on your own, then get back to the bench, you guys have got some great builds going on. I've got a few changes in mind too, I filled in the holes in the trunk and will go without the spoiler after all, it looks better without it!

75Matador139-vi.jpg

75Matador140-vi.jpg

75Matador144-vi.jpg

75Matador145-vi.jpg

75Matador146-vi.jpg

I decided I didn't like the tail lights, so I had to make my own. I had a few different ideas, but finally backed down to a simple one. I drilled out the stock tail lights, and enlarged the holes for some aluminum tubing and clear plastic rod. I have the passenger side started, here's the pics to prove it!

75Matador166-vi.jpg

75Matador167-vi.jpg

75Matador168-vi.jpg

I got all four new tail lights made up, epoxied in place, then I cut the excess off of all of them, Next up is the smoothing out and polishing of the new tail lights!

75Matador171-vi.jpg

75Matador172-vi.jpg

75Matador173-vi.jpg

75Matador174-vi.jpg

75Matador175-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Now that the tail lights are all cut off, I grabbed my trusty sanding sticks and got them knocked down almost smooth with the rear end. Another few minutes polishing them up, a bit of Tamiya Clear Red on the backsides of each lens, and a piece of Detail Master's Krome Foil one the back of each lens finishes 'em off. I had planned on them being flush with the body, but I changed my mind and left enough sticking up to be able to mask them off when painting time comes tomorrow!

75Matador176-vi.jpg

75Matador181-vi.jpg

75Matador182-vi.jpg

75Matador187-vi.jpg

75Matador188-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

Here's a few of the AMC projects I have going. The first is my longest running project, started around 1990. Only thing from plastic Kenosha is the body, the rest is Callaway Corvette Speedster with a twin turbo ZR-1 engine and wheels/tires from a 66 Chevelle wagon. Stalled out when I decided it should be AMC powered with twin turbo's...that's as far as I got with that idea and there she sits.

Picture819.jpg

My 66 Rambler Cross Country wagon. In the sprit of the community build I'll enter this one cuz it just needs some final details to call it finished. ;) The boat was borrowed from another build and I plan to scratchbuild a pop-up camper for behind this one someday. Sorry bout the crappy pic.

IMG_6063.jpg

I WANT THE SPEEDSTER!!!!! That is some beautiful work Rob, I want to see more of that one, and a few dozen more pics of that Rambler Wagon too!

Edited by Custom Mike

Mike's recent work on his Matador has inspired me to get off my duff and blow the dust off my own Matador project for the first time in seven months!

1-vi.jpg

The wheels, tires, and rotor/caliper assemblies are installed for good, and I started work on the cowl induction scoop. Yeah, it looks pretty crude at this point, but it should look better once it's blended. in.

Speaking of blended in...

2-vi.jpg

I also blended in the spats at the front of the wheel openings for a cleaner look. This kind of does/ kind of doesn't have the same effect as widening the fenders- the wheels won't stick out past the fenders, but it doesn't really gain you any room like widening the fender would. It's a lot less work at any rate.

Rob, PLEASE SEND ME THE SPEEDSTER! That is one beautiful build! Chuck, I'm glad I've inspired you to get your Matador done, it looks like it's gonna be a whole lot meaner than mine! BTW, how many AMC's do you have going at one time???

OK, back to my Matador. Unfortunately, there is no paint today, I had to lay down some more Primer/Sealer and another couple of coats of White Primer before any painting could commence. But the body is back in shape, the White Primer looks good, and we should be ready for some paint tomorrow if I get home early enough!

75Matador189-vi.jpg

75Matador190-vi.jpg

75Matador191-vi.jpg

75Matador192-vi.jpg

Edited by Custom Mike

I had planned on them being flush with the body, but I changed my mind and left enough sticking up to be able to mask them off when painting time comes tomorrow!

75Matador187-vi.jpg

Good decision. I think they would blended in too much if they were flush, and now you have a nice edge to polish and add definition.

I guess I will be dragging the GT back out...I tell ya, the peer pressure is heavy in this CB. :D