Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ollie's Bargain Outlet deals

If you have an Ollie's near you, they may be having a special clearance on Lindberg and Testors car kits ($7.99 - $9.99), which I just saw in an insert in this morning's paper. Supposedly resulting from smoke damage in a California warehouse fire.

Ollie's locations are in Delaware, Kentucky, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.

You might want to check back, they are rotating stock around the stores every so often. We didn't have anything but airplanes and the '48 Lincoln for months, then 2 weeks ago everything old left, and it's all Dodge Charger Super Bees, display cases, and the diecast stuff.

• 5 years later...

I'm sure that it is not news to the majority of people reading this forum that Ollie's Bargain Outlet stores are closing out a large inventory of Lindberg plastic model kits. Many Lindberg kits are on offer (cars, aircraft, space, naval, police-fire, dinosaurs) apparently with different inventories by store. I have visited stores in Indiana, Michigan and Georgia and each had a different selection of kits.

The kits that I was the most interested in were the Dodge 330 Super stock 'Maverick' and 'Ramchargers' which were selling for $7.99. I did snag a few because I felt that at that price having them around for spare parts was certainly worth the cost.

Earlier in this week I visited an Ollie's that I hadn't been to before and bought the Lindberg Mercedes-Benz SSK and Bugatti Royale classic kits. I bought them more out of curiousity than anything. I will be the first to admit that I am not a classic car buff- kits of cars from the muscle car era are what attract me.

Just from a brief look in the boxes and at the 'trees', these look to be very good kits. The Mercedes-Benz SSK (for example) has no less than 4 trees of 'chrome' plated parts and a set of nicely molded tires with whitewall inserts. Both kits have the bodies molded in white plastic instead of the colored plastic which can sometimes be difficult to work with.

I haven't started building either of them so I can't speak to the ease or difficulty of assembly or how they look when finished. The general opinion on the forums is that if you take care in building, these kits can end up very attractive looking.

At the prices these kits are being offered they might be right for a club group build or for young modelers to start with. Perhaps if you are in a modeling slump, building one of these classic kits might be the cure.

As I say- each store that I have visited so far seems to have a different stock of kits. I do not know how many they have in a warehouse somewhere or if the stores might get a restock, possibly with different kits.

As someone mentioned Ollie's also has spray cans of Duplicolor 2X paints at bargain prices. Stash a few cans of basic colors (IE: black, white, silver) for your upcoming builds.

If you are unfamiliar with Ollie's they have a 'store finder' on their website to see if there is a store near you. Other than the kits they have general closeout merchandise similar to Big Lots or Dollar Tree stores.

Edited by MG Brown

I went to Ollies about a month ago.  It's "next door" to a local Hobby Lobby; we went to that store first.  HL had the usual suspects at the usual prices- most too high, especially the Lawman Belvedere kit ($39.00!!!- not even worth it with the 40% discount as I wouldn't even use the decals, which probably drove up the co$t).  I left empty-handed, but I suggested a visit to Oliies.  A little hunting yielded a nice assortment of Lindberg kits, including the Maverick and Ramchargers Mopars and some Revell kits, including the Sox and Martin '67 GTX.  Each kit was $7.99.  Hey, they might not be the latest and greatest, but I got four kits at Ollies for just a bit more than the price of just one at HL.  Even if I just use them for parts, it's worth it.

I went to Ollies about a month ago..

If you get over to this part of SC, there's a big Ollie's in Greenville, on Wade Hampton Blvd.  Also another in Anderson, SC on the Clemson Highway/76, coming into town.  The one in Anderson is near a Hobby Lobby and a Michael's.  The Greenville Ollie's never seemed to get any good kits during that last big sale - just Lindberg ships and a few other drecky kits.  At the Anderson store I found 1 Slingster dragster, 2 Surfites and a '67 GTX.  It also had a couple of the Lindberg Ramcharger Dodges.  I checked last week at that store and there were very few kits left of any kind.