Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the problem with sending it to Brazil?

Yes i'd also like to know.

I get stuff shipped from Japan , China, Hong kong, for 1/4 the price quoted from US(and extra cost is not fro customs charges..)

on that note how and why is there /would there be customes charge on 2nd hand goods.

What's the problem with sending it to Brazil?

The problem with non-US shipping is that once it leaves the hands of the US Postal Service it becomes very hard to prove delivery. I have had one too many non-US buyers complain of not receiving the package. Now I only ship to the US and Canada. (Canada has good postal tracking, although they can be slow to deliver).

I know that I have probably lost customers and maybe gotten a lower price on my items because of it, but it just isn't worth the hassle and the negative feedback for something that is completely out of my control.

I have sold airplane models to buyers in Brazil with no problems (and Chile, Argentina, even El Salvador!). It is risky though as first class international does not allow tracking or insurance - just let the seller know. Even with tracking, some foreign posts don't seem to track anything.

And as noted above - you can block all foreign bidders and this one probably couldn't read English well enough to understand the shipping stipulation.

I enjoy selling internationally and find the bids go higher when adding another few billion customers.

The problem with non-US shipping is that once it leaves the hands of the US Postal Service it becomes very hard to prove delivery. I have had one too many non-US buyers complain of not receiving the package. Now I only ship to the US and Canada. (Canada has good postal tracking, although they can be slow to deliver).

I know that I have probably lost customers and maybe gotten a lower price on my items because of it, but it just isn't worth the hassle and the negative feedback for something that is completely out of my control.

Better not use USPS when you send abroad. I never use the postal service (how's that for a contradiction in terms?) for that and for the very same reasons.

I always use courier services like DHL, UPS, FexEx, Hermes, etc. Not only are they way cheaper, but they do offer end to end tracking and insurance. There are internet brokerage portals where you can enter the weight and measurements of the parcel and they give you several quotes of which you can select the most reasonable. I use http://www.interparcel.com and meanwhile have an account with them. I'm sure there are similar ones in USA.

I know, this takes a bit of effort the first few times, but once you established a routine, it is easier to tackle than the post. They even collect the stuff from your home or workplace.

(/quote) I enjoy selling internationally and find the bids go higher when adding another few billion customers.

[/quote)

Good for you! I've probably had 150 kits sent to Switzerland and I've never had (or been) a problem. This stuff has all been shipped First Class International (no insurance or tracking) at about a third of the cost of an insured package. I accept the risk and would never hold an Ebay seller responsible if a package didn't arrive. I leave myself open to fraud here - a seller could simply take my money and not send the kit. But nothing remotely like that has ever happened and anyway, the expense of loosing a package or two would be a fraction of what I would have spent had I insured everything.

Surely the reverse would apply for a seller too, ie. overall there must be enough extra profit from international auctions to cover the cost of the odd dispute.

It can be disheartening trauling Ebay when only about 10% of American sellers will ship abroad but most of the stuff I buy simply isn't available here. And, like I say it's worked out fine for me ( and the people who have sold to me ) so far.

courier services like DHL, UPS, FexEx, Hermes, etc. Not only are they way cheaper, but they do offer end to end tracking and insurance. There are internet brokerage portals where you can enter the weight and measurements of the parcel and they give you several quotes of which you can select the most reasonable. I use http://www.interparcel.com

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into this if I sell more kits - I usually defaulted to USPS because, well, that's what I always did.

John (OP) - you could look into this too, if you decide to ship the kit to Brazil.

The other "issue" with US sellers selling abroad is the time. We can ship in the US without having to visit the post office - print everything online and schedule a pick up with our regular carrier. With international shipments, they require customs forms and you have to weigh and pay at the PO - so it takes quite a bit more effort.

Better not use USPS when you send abroad. I never use the postal service (how's that for a contradiction in terms?) for that and for the very same reasons. I always use courier services like DHL, UPS, FexEx, Hermes, etc. Not only are they way cheaper, but they do offer end to end tracking and insurance.

Christian,

I know that I can use UPS and Fedex (DHL closed up shop here in the US a few years ago due to lack of business), but it's just an extra hassle. I have to go to the post office every day anyway, so that isn't a problem for me. Shipping overseas requires extra forms and extra costs. And while some countries have little or no issues, some countries are just to much hassle to deal with, and I don't have the time or inclination to figure out which ones are good and which ones are not.

If I was selling things on eBay as a business, I would sell to overseas customers, but selling on eBay is something I do to get rid of extra stuff I don't need. Most of the time the money doesn't even leave my PayPal account before I have spent it on more kits I don't need.

I don't buy stuff from overseas either, for all the same reasons.

In the description of all my auctions, I always stated, "PayPal only"... I had one gentleman win an auction and send me an envelope via USPS with the $11.49 payment... in cash and change... :blink: I went ahead and sent him the item... Then I ammended the description to say that any other payment type would be refused and a non-payer complaint would be registered...

As for shipping, I had good luck using USPS for shipping in the US and UPS for international shipping. I also stated in my description that I would NOT ship to Mexico or Italy. Those two countries seemed to be black-holes that packages enter and are never seen again... I've shipped to places like Serbia and Romania and had no issues. My theory is that if they're willing to pay the shipping, I'm willing to sell them an item... I used ebays shipping calculator and never got shortchanged.

Edited by Wagoneer81

If you sell internally on ebay, you can't track the package yourself, BUT the custom's form you filled out at the Post Office an the small tab given to you does in fact have a tracking number on it that form the people at the Post Office can an has to track by going through Inter Pole can in fact track. I used it afew times myself in the past.

The problem John is having is when the auction plainly states 'Continental U.S shipping ONLY', and then a foreign buyer bids/wins and expects overseas shipping. All this garbage about 'what's wrong with Brazil' and 'I ship to Brazil' is a waste in this thread, as that is NOT the thought process behind the thread. What part of Continental UNITED STATES was too hard to comprehend?

Edited by whale392

The problem John is having is when the auction plainly states 'Continental U.S shipping ONLY', and then a foreign buyer bids/wins and expects overseas shipping. All this garbage about 'what's wrong with Brazil' and 'I ship to Brazil' is a waste in this thread, as that is NOT the thought process behind the thread. What part of Continental UNITED STATES was too hard to comprehend?

Had he simply used ebay's tool for excluding foriegn bidders, This whole thread would not have been nessesary. If he is not willing to read his Ebay's options for his auction, how can his complants about people not reading his auction be taken seriously. I'm very careful about making sure my actions are filled out correctly before listing them.

shippingexcluions-vi.jpg

You are also correct, it's not only his fault but also the foreign bidder out side our country as well. They didn't seem to read the auction very well, just went ahead an bidded. There for if they would have taken the time to read the auction of his, they would have clearly understanded his rules an also where he ships to before placing a single bid on his items or item.

Hey guys just wanted to add to this thread I to am a seller and buyer on ebay and I try to only sell to or buy from USA and Canada.In general its a good rule of thumb to stick with the 2 countries as shipping is good on both sides.I also did one sell to someone in France and I got negitive feed back that the buyer didn't recieve there item so its best to leave over seas market alone.

Darin, IF the BUYER had read the shipping instructions/preferences, he would have seen that John DOES NOT ship internationally, Continental USA ONLY. Regardless of Johns E-Bay options to set shipping preferences, it is the BUYERS responsibility to make sure the seller will ship to them, NOT the other way around. Careful reading makes the need to 'set' preferences null and void. Or, Darin, are you one of those guys who believes that we need to cater to the lowest common denominator and lower ourselves to HAVING to set protections for ourselves. Thinking like that has been what has put this nation into the hole it is in. When do people take responsibility for their actions instead of having others set the responsibility themselves?

Edited by whale392

I fully understand John's frustration. I've sold a couple of vehicles on Craigslist and have one for sale right now on there. In all three of my ads I plainly state NO EMAILS!! Yet,every time I check my emails,there are at least three or four emails asking stupid questions or making rediculous offers. Those people get very rude responses from me if I do respond. I guarantee that none of them have liked the answer they got.

I don't know much about selling on ebay,but can't the seller reject or cancel the winning bid since he clearly stated that he doesn't ship outside of the US? I've read descriptions where the sellers have stated this.