Model Cars Magazine Forum

The sad state of a multimillion-dollar car

I've been doing a lot of research over the past year or so to help with my Jo-Han 1935 Mercedes 500K, and pictures are as rare as this one-off car itself. It was originally built by Mercedes as a gift for their #1 race driver, Rudi Caracciola. Then it was bought by Benito Mussolini as a gift for his nephew (whom he later had executed). It eventually passed into the hands of a zillionaire butcher named Rudi Klein, who had it restored in 1965. When it failed to start after a 1980 Newport Beach show, he put it into a garage at his exotic car salvage yard in South Central L.A., and it hasn't been seen since except by a couple of people. His eccentric heirs won't let anyone near it. The Mercedes Classic Center even offered to restore it for free, but they wouldn't agree. It is the subject of an article in the February issue of Town & Country magazine, which states that it now sits on flattened tires, covered with 30 years of grime, perhaps never to see the light of day again. It has been estimated that this could be the most valuable Mercedes in history.

The kit...

johan500k.png

The original car as built for Caracciola...

35mercedes500karchivecopy.jpg

The car as restored in 1965...

03mrazcaracciola500kcolor.jpg

...and its current home in South Central L.A., next to some roadside taco stands.

51feef2ded7b4ac1a2c1cc88c804ada4.jpg

Skip, it all sounds like a wonderful story. Great you've done the research. How are you going to build the model to include parts of the story, or are you just going to build it and have a placard with the story written next to it.

Wow, the car's final resting place is not too far from where I grew up in Cali.

Skip, it all sounds like a wonderful story. Great you've done the research. How are you going to build the model to include parts of the story, or are you just going to build it and have a placard with the story written next to it.

Wow, the car's final resting place is not too far from where I grew up in Cali.

My biggest question is what the interior looks like, since there are no known photos and since there were differences between the dashboards in the convertible roadsters and fixed-head hardtop coupes; open-air roadsters had leather dash surfaces, and most coupes had wooden dashes. One of the people who has seen this car in the past few years is Mike Kunz, head of the Mercedes Classic Center USA; I have sent him an e-mail asking a few questions, and they have been good in the past about getting back to me.

Here is Rudi Carracciola with the Mercedes in 1937:

3346a3f329e1b34d01ba461dc7768a86.jpg

The car might be in better condition than the mainstream media wants us believe.

The restored cars of the Klein collection always have been stored inside. This is a photo of the storage conditions when Mr Klein was still alive (that's the man himself to the far right):

rudi+klein1327455950.jpg

Yes sad indeed, and its sad that I do not own it! oh but anyway yes it would be nice to have a complete resto but the current family probably is worried that someone doing the resto may take off with the car.

Mercedes themselves offered to do the resto. I think they'd be pretty trustworthy... ;)

I've been doing a lot of research over the past year or so to help with my Jo-Han 1935 Mercedes 500K, and pictures are as rare as this one-off car itself. It was originally built by Mercedes as a gift for their #1 race driver, Rudi Caracciola. Then it was bought by Benito Mussolini as a gift for his nephew (whom he later had executed).It eventually passed into the hands of a zillionaire butcher named Rudi Klein, who had it restored in 1965. When it failed to start after a 1980 Newport Beach show, he put it into a garage at his exotic car salvage yard in South Central L.A., and it hasn't been seen since except by a couple of people. His eccentric heirs won't let anyone near it. The Mercedes Classic Center even offered to restore it for free, but they wouldn't agree. It is the subject of an article in the February issue of Town & Country magazine, which states that it now sits on flattened tires, covered with 30 years of grime, perhaps never to see the light of day again. It has been estimated that this could be the most valuable Mercedes in history.

The kit...

johan500k.png

The original car as built for Caracciola...

35mercedes500karchivecopy.jpg

The car as restored in 1965...

03mrazcaracciola500kcolor.jpg

...and its current home in South Central L.A., next to some roadside taco stands.

51feef2ded7b4ac1a2c1cc88c804ada4.jpg

imagine an uncle like that?

Mercedes themselves offered to do the resto. I think they'd be pretty trustworthy... ;)

opps i failed to read the whole thread, i always do that without knowing the whole story, yeah they would have been very trustworthy and no matter how nuts the brothers were or are they should have jumped at that once in a life time chance.

Edited by Darren B

I'm sure it makes a great story, but since so few people have actually seen the car (and who knows how much of it), we're going on very little info. We can all have our opinions and it sure makes a great story for selling magazines, but maybe all of the attention the car is garnering is turning the owner(s) off to sharing it with others. $.02

The Mercedes Classic Center IS Mercedes; it's part of the company. (BTW, where did you find that shot of the car being uncovered?)

Here are some other cars that the Town & Country article says are crumbling at the facility, including one of 29 alloy-bodied Gullwings:

salvageclassics.png

Edited by sjordan2

I'm sure it makes a great story, but since so few people have actually seen the car (and who knows how much of it), we're going on very little info. We can all have our opinions and it sure makes a great story for selling magazines, but maybe all of the attention the car is garnering is turning the owner(s) off to sharing it with others. $.02

I doubt that this story has much to do with selling an upscale women's fashion and style magazine, and certainly would attract little attention on the newsstand for their audience. The cover story is about Ali MacGraw.

Christian: Please add to your story of the guy who wouldn't buy the car. I'm looking for every shred of information I can find.

Edited by sjordan2

Christian: Please add to your story of the guy who wouldn't buy the car. I'm looking for every shred of information I can find.

Not much to tell. The car has been offered to John Haenle (of Jo-Han fame) when it was measured to make the kit. Mr. Haenle, first and foremost famous for not easily parting with money, declined. This happened in the heydays of model kits, he certainly wasn't strapped for cash (in fact he drove new Cadillacs at the time), neither was the asking price anywhere near the mad prices paid for classic cars since the late Eighties explosion. Mr. Haenle later often said that he regrets not having bought the car at the time, since it would have provided him with a nice retirement fund.

Edited by Junkman

the picture of the car with the 3 men around it in the "garage", looks to be from the late 80's or early 90's?

fascinating story

Klein died in 2001. It is his sons who are running the business, and the magazine description of flattened tires and 30 years of grime is based on witnesses who have seen the car since then. The Town & Country writer was not allowed access to the car, but he based his description on what he learned from Mike Kunz, who runs Mercedes' corporate Classic Center in Irvine, CA and made the offer to the brothers for free restoration.

What I really can't understand is why they just sit on this literally one-of-a-kind car worth potentially several million bucks? If it was me I'd want to tap into that. Knowing I had a multi-million dollar treasure rotting away in a warehouse somewhere would keep me tossing and turning at night.

It's called a long-term investment Harry. Decades long... :blink:

But you're right about doing the resto now. First, it would build interest over time for serious buyers.

Second, if a resto had to be paid for, now is cheaper than later. But turning down a free resto-even keeping the car for another generation-man that's nuts. And who better than MB Corporate?? :unsure:

What I really can't understand is why they just sit on this literally one-of-a-kind car worth potentially several million bucks? If it was me I'd want to tap into that. Knowing I had a multi-million dollar treasure rotting away in a warehouse somewhere would keep me tossing and turning at night.

Maybe they have enough millions already that it doesn't mean anything to them. Like I said, these guys are cuckoo. And if you don't read the article, including info about the guard dogs that will eat anyone who comes close, you won't get it.