Model Cars Magazine Forum

how detailed do you guys get with your dashboards?

i was wondering about painting dashboards and how detailed they can get. My first two models i simply painted them black and was done with it, but something tells me i should be giving the interior, especially the dashboard more attention - Any ideas about how you guys tackle dashboards, seats, panels etc would be appreciated. i think i need to order don yosts videos!

Depends really on what car you're building as to how crazy you want to get. Usually BMF along with some detail painting and gauge detail with either decals or PE gauges & PE gauge panels or rings. Then the clear epoxy for lenses over the gauges. You can use woodgrain decals or cigar wood/paper for some dashboard, door panel or console details. I've used pinheads for dash knobs on some cars. You can also use some small pieces of flame and/or pinstripe decals for a cool look on Rods or Customs.

In my experience, newer modelers often overlook the interior as something that can enhance the accuracy of a given model. This is a major oversight because dashboards, especially the older ones, can be one of the most detailed aspects of the entire kit.

post-972-0-76030700-1331619344_thumb.jpg

I wish I could take credit for this, but IIRC, it was done by one of the members of this board.

As others have said, study pictures of the 1:1 items and use whatever you need to emulate that look.

In my experience, newer modelers often overlook the interior as something that can enhance the accuracy of a given model. This is a major oversight because dashboards, especially the older ones, can be one of the most detailed aspects of the entire kit.

post-972-0-76030700-1331619344_thumb.jpg

I wish I could take credit for this, but IIRC, it was done by one of the members of this board.

As others have said, study pictures of the 1:1 items and use whatever you need to emulate that look.

Wow. That is beautiful.

Here's the dash from my 66 Beetle.

cJRdH.jpg

I like to drill out the guages and put photos of gauges in from the back. I then use Krystol Klear ( spelling ?) to simulate the glass (plastic ) cover. You can then cut narrow pieces of aluminum tubing to use as the trim around the guage. Lots of work but if your doing an open car it is worth the work.

• 1 year later...