Model Cars Magazine Forum

MY TURBO INTERCEPTOR

wraith

I am a BIG fan of the cult movie "The Wraith"! hence my screen name.

That movie has stuck to me since I 1st saw it as a kid. Especially growing up in a MOPAR family with my father and uncle always having some kind of cool Mopar around! My uncle rented this movie and I fell in love with the Turbo Interceptor! So much I named one of my Mopars "Wraith" and thus the screen name.

As a BIG fan of FWD Mopars and Turbo'd 4cylinder cars this is one of my favorite MOPARS of all time and the basis for MY TURBO INTERCEPTOR!

THE DODGE SRT-4!

KGrHqJp4E9eD4pN0BPff-7ccQ60_57.jpg

yes I know it's a diecast but when its all you have to work with you have to make do!

I even finally scored some different wheels for it.

KGrHqZHJEkE914i-KSBPe36ktvGw60_58.jpg

here is a quick mock up of a one picked up years ago and stripped the paint and have massaged some cast lines in the metal. the black is permanent marker as i am playing around with some paint schemes Were the bare metal is will be a Deep Amethyst Pearl purple and the wheel will end up gunmetal.

WRAITH2.jpg

WRAITH1.jpg

sorry for the bad pics. took them with my cell phone as I still can't find my cord for my camera.

I have opened up the grille and added a scratchbuilt intercooler. The rear spoiler on these are to short so it has a slightly modiflied rear wing from a Revell Acura Type R.

I removed all the lettering cast into the chassis and cut out and scratchbuilt the exhaust. working on some interior fixes as it is not 100% acurate. All it really needs is a few more minor detail to be sorted out and some primer and paint and she should be done real soon.

Thanks mike! This has been a project for a couple years now. It has been painted once before and it was bad! Not sure what happened but it orange peeled like crazy and even hazed in some spots. I tried painting it orange before with Testor's paint. That was the last time I ever used their spray paint. I almost strictly used automotive paint now for bodys now.

I,ve got the resin turbo interceptor, nice kit, only problem is the front vents are all to small bar one so i have to make them out off brass. Not a cheap kit either. I like skank's cuda.

Edited by Yahshu

there are more inprogress pics coming but here is how she is right now.

the wheels stick out that far when I am done.

the intercooler is scratchbuilt and was done just like the how to says in the tips and tricks section on here. I still need to blackwash the intercooler. I sprayed it with "chrome in a can" spray paint.

The front is also wearing a front air dam I scratchbuilt to lower the front a lil more and to give it a slightly more agressive look.

GEDC0799.jpg

GEDC0797.jpg

GEDC0796.jpg

GEDC0790.jpg

still wearing the SRT-4 wheels on the pass side. lol!

a lil comparision of the wings

GEDC0791.jpg

and a pic of the work on the chassis and exhaust

GEDC0616.jpg

.....more to come......

Edited by wraith

here is a pic camparing the chassis. one is unmolested, one has had slight work done to it and the other has had just a lil more work done to it.

GEDC0772.jpg

it will get more work till it meets my satisfaction.

I had to scratchbuild the rear axle back part of the exhaust as the "Excess Tuner" version of this diecast has a completely useless and unreal exhaust section and doesn't come with the correct version the other 2 are wearing.

I made mine to resemble the real world Borla cat back exhaust. The trumpeted exhaust tips on mine are from the Revell Ram VTS pickup.

These cars never came fron Chrysler with mufflers. they used 2 small resonators after the cat which I have replicated with my set-up. later models Chrysler went with a single longer resonator which I have duplicated in the one in the middle.

Edited by wraith

some progress pics. not nessecarily in the order which they were done. lol!

exhaust and rear wing

the finished rear exhaust section is mocked up on another one getting the full treatment.

GEDC0617.jpg

GEDC0786.jpg

GEDC0784.jpg

Edited by wraith

chassis work

unmolested

GEDC0777.jpg

middle section cut out

GEDC0778.jpg

lettering sanded off

GEDC0779.jpg

round pins shaved off & the start of dragging the hobby knife through it to bring out the brake and fuel lines. Still have more work to do to it.

GEDC0780.jpg

Edited by wraith

Man I got to get one of those neons and the 1st gen to. Cool so far.

Good luck finding one of either! They are very hard to come by! I know! I have been building real 1st gen neon's, 2nd gen neon's, and SRT-4's since 1998. And I have beening buying the 1st gen promos and these SRT-4 diecasts about every chance I get! They tend to get pricey as other neon enthusiasts gobble them up like myself!

I have a 1st gen neon promo I am building to look like a 1:1 neon I have.

Ordered my Deep Amethyst Pearl paint today! Have to finish cleaning up the body and get her ready for primer. base silver coat and paint! Still touching up the chassis as well. Hoping to have her dome this coming weekend!

I dug around in my parts stash and found some very nicely detailed brake rotors and calipers to fill the void in the new wheels! Time to get to fabbing them up and get it so the wheels roll!

She won't be done this weekend, but maybe this coming week!

Still have to hit up the local Hobby Lobby for some embossing powder and a few other lil things to liven her up.

I also have to strip the paint from the wheels i am using and paint them gunmetal.

Thanks Russ!

She has stalled out at the moment, like a few other builds. I have been forced to spend my time working on the side. I have been without a job for 3 weeks now, but I found one and start on Thursday! and at $4 a hour more than my last job!

She will be done soon as the Car show I am going to is in 3 weeks and i want to bring her along and put it ii the model show they have!

update with some pics soon!