Model Cars Magazine Forum

How can I save this?

I'll be quite honest. I can tell there is something wrong but a clearer pic and some description would be helpful in my case. Idk about anyone else. Do you have a camera and something like a photobucket account? If not at least a camera and post them like you did?

You just need to glue some styrene strip along the edge where its cut. Use good glue like Tenax and give it a day or so to dry so its solid when you go to sand it. You can follow the contour of the rear part that is still there to put the correct curve in it and then rescribe the door line. It's not that bad to fix but this is also a fairly easyily obtainable kit, I saw a few at Hobby Lobby last week. Print you off a 40% off coupon and buy yourself a new one, the cammer parts are worth it if you add them to a better block from a newer FE motored kit.

I keep changing my mind. I wanted to build the engine and put it in something else. Then again I wanted to save the body but I hardly have the skill to shave door handles on a model much less repair missing chunks. I might be up to trade the body or the whole kit if anyone has a decent old built mustang they'd be willing to let go of.

Looks like a factory defect, but are commomly called "short shots". I've have had and seen worse, but this dosen't look too hard to fix. I'd say it can be saved with plastic strip, losta bondo/filler, and some scribing around the door lines to match. I had a sealed 70 Challenger kit given to me and the body had the full HALF of the rear end missing! It could not be fixed at all, but luclky I had a spare so things were all good.

This is not as big a deal as some would have you think. Get some two-part epoxy putty. J-B Weld in auto sections, plumber's putty (cheaper) in the plumbing depts. Knead some together and shape it like clay. Use tools or a wet finger. It will stick to darn near anything, even when wet. Workable for about 10 minutes, like a rock in a half hour. Then just sand or machine as needed.

This is not as big a deal as some would have you think. Get some two-part epoxy putty. J-B Weld in auto sections, plumber's putty (cheaper) in the plumbing depts. Knead some together and shape it like clay. Use tools or a wet finger. It will stick to darn near anything, even when wet. Workable for about 10 minutes, like a rock in a half hour. Then just sand or machine as needed.

What we both said.