Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell/Gearz Contest - Official Thread

Congrats to the winners. This was my first time entering anything. I didn't even know about the contest until about mid April. About the same time I started getting back int the hobby. didn't have a lot of time to get I done but I was very pleased with the results.25e64ed3.jpg280befda.jpg1cb18840.jpgce2fb5b4.jpg171e1325.jpg

I know I have posted them here before

If you click on a picture of a winning model it will say view image details and when you click that it will bring you to a page that will have clickable links that say 2012, Winner, and then the class the winning model is in, if you click on the class link it will bring you to a page that shows the winner and two honorable mentions that looks like the placing order of the models,

Here's an example http://staceydavid.com/categoree/contest-category/15-under-unlimited

Edited by BOSWELL891

Congrats to the winners. This was my first time entering anything. I didn't even know about the contest until about mid April. About the same time I started getting back int the hobby. didn't have a lot of time to get I done but I was very pleased with the results.25e64ed3.jpg280befda.jpg1cb18840.jpgce2fb5b4.jpg171e1325.jpg

I know I have posted them here before

Love your Camaro Jamie. It really jumps right off the page. The paint looks exellent! Black is pretty hard to get just right, and you nailed it. Awesome build.

Corey

Some nice builds. Im not sure what the judges were looking for as Ive seen nicer builds pictured here than what won. I know its all a matter of what each judge liked but mold lines left on a body of a winning build come on. Id like to see a list of all that entered the contest. How does everyone that entered actually know their pics went thru and were actually received by Revell.

Some nice builds. Im not sure what the judges were looking for as Ive seen nicer builds pictured here than what won. I know its all a matter of what each judge liked but mold lines left on a body of a winning build come on. Id like to see a list of all that entered the contest. How does everyone that entered actually know their pics went thru and were actually received by Revell.

That's my thought exactly on if it even went threw. Cuz I didn't get a confirmation email. So it is what it is.

I aslo wondered from the beginning if my pics got through. The first several times I tried submitting, the form would clear and start over again. It took 2 days of trying before I got the "thank you" page. Then I emailed Revell to check and a woman emailed me back saying; "as long as you got the thank you page, they went through." Still, I had that uneasy feeling like sending out a fax and not having a conformation letter.

Well, since this is now labelled the "official" Revell / Gearz thread, I'll post my own entry one more time. I know, I'm a jerk, but I'd really like to see the judging sheets. I'm wondering if my entry was received (again no confirmation email), and if so, if it was disqualified for some reason, maybe the 50% rule. I'd sure like to know how to do better next time.

While we're at it, I frankly think the 50% parts rule in the "unlimited" class was vague and open to several interpretations (50% of the parts in the box had to be used? 50% of the parts on the model had to come FROM the box? 50% by weight? 50% by counting individual parts on the completed model?).

Anyway, I sincerely congratulate the builders of the cars that had what it took to win and place.

DSCN5573.jpg

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5584.jpg

DSCN5567.jpg

4" scale top-chop, flush-fitted windshield. Chevelle kit-chassis center-section with Corvette C5R ends, rails and suspension. Chevell kit engine, modified with front mounted blower and magneto. Scratch-built hood gills, upper roll cage, through-frame exhausts. Chevelle kit optional wheels with turned alloy rims to fit the C5R tires. Opened deckild. Through-deck vintage Indy-car fuel filler. Full custom rear panel with Corvette C5 taillights. Filled, narrowed and painted front bumper. Chevelle kit instrument panel, modified to fit cage. Testors Flaming Orange and 3 coats of clear lacquer. Lots more, and nowhere to list any of it on the entry form.

PS. I'm really glad this contest came up. I hadn't finished a build in years, caught up in that "perfectionist" trap. The competition gave me something to shoot for, time-wise. Finishing one and having it to look at on the shelf plus the resulting inspiration to finish some more....well, it's a lot more important to me than winning anyway. One of the better quotes from racing: "you can't win if you don't finish". Yup.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Shane, Wow, nice job! I love the paint job. Nice engine too. It all fits together nicely. Looks drivable.

William, awesome customizing and detail.

I’m glad we’re posting our pictures here. Not only does it give us a chance to show what we accomplished, but also to see what incredible work, others who didn’t make the cut, have done.

Great work guys!

I also want to congratulate those who did win, but I can’t seem to see any of the pics of honorable mentions at the website.

Well, since this is now labelled the "official" Revell / Gearz thread, I'll post my own entry one more time. I know, I'm a jerk, but I'd really like to see the judging sheets. I'm wondering if my entry was received (again no confirmation email), and if so, if it was disqualified for some reason, maybe the 50% rule. I'd sure like to know how to do better next time.

While we're at it, I frankly think the 50% parts rule in the "unlimited" class was vague and open to several interpretations (50% of the parts in the box had to be used? 50% of the parts on the model had to come FROM the box? 50% by weight? 50% by counting individual parts on the completed model?).

Anyway, I sincerely congratulate the builders of the cars that had what it took to win and place.

DSCN5573.jpg

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5584.jpg

DSCN5567.jpg

4" scale top-chop, flush-fitted windshield. Chevelle kit-chassis center-section with Corvette C5R ends, rails and suspension. Chevell kit engine, modified with front mounted blower and magneto. Scratch-built hood gills, upper roll cage, through-frame exhausts. Chevelle kit optional wheels with turned alloy rims to fit the C5R tires. Opened deckild. Through-deck vintage Indy-car fuel filler. Full custom rear panel with Corvette C5 taillights. Filled, narrowed and painted front bumper. Chevelle kit instrument panel, modified to fit cage. Testors Flaming Orange and 3 coats of clear lacquer. Lots more, and nowhere to list any of it on the entry form.

PS. I'm really glad this contest came up. I hadn't finished a build in years, caught up in that "perfectionist" trap. The competition gave me something to shoot for, time-wise. Finishing one and having it to look at on the shelf plus the resulting inspiration to finish some more....well, it's a lot more important to me than winning anyway. One of the better quotes from racing: "you can't win if you don't finish". Yup.

I think you did an awesome job Ace, your body and scratchbuilding skills are top notch. There are so many great things about your build, I don't know where to start. There were a couple firsts for me on my build, but I'm not good enough with body work yet to pull off ALOT of the tricks you had up your sleeve. Great build.

Corey

Edited by dimebolt

I would be remiss if I didn't add that I'm thrilled to see people's entries here. They are both intimidating and inspiring at the same time.

Remember from last year that the acclaimed judges were given packets of pre-sorted photos provided to them by Revell/Gears, which means the photos had already had one round of judging from producers and execs before the model experts had their say. The models' photos have to look good on TV, be relevant to the program and serve the needs of the sponsor, Revell. That's just business.

.....Here's a very fine entry by Marcus Jones, with an exceptional scratchbuilt frame, and it also appears to have won nothing. He may be too humble to post it here himself, so I'll do it for him. This model is certainly worth looking at for any of you who haven't seen it before. The lack of recognition of this build is another reason why I'm interested in the EXACT interpretation of the rules concerning 50% content in the unlimited class, and what the judging criteria were. Personally, I would have to give this one top marks.

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=58199

.....Here's a very fine entry by Marcus Jones, with an exceptional scratchbuilt frame, and it also appears to have won nothing. He may be too humble to post it here himself, so I'll do it for him. This model is certainly worth looking at for any of you who haven't seen it before. The lack of recognition of this build is another reason why I'm interested in the EXACT interpretation of the rules concerning 50% content in the unlimited class, and what the judging criteria were. Personally, I would have to give this one top marks.

http://www.modelcars...showtopic=58199

Yea he was one that I was sure was going to win something.The other charger in his division didn't even sand off the copyrights.