Model Cars Magazine Forum

Polar Lights Buddy Baker Charger

chris731

Disclaimer: The following IS NOT commentary on the builder or his skill set.

Good luck with this build in all sincerity. These kits are total dogs and if Playing Mantis were still around i'm sure they would all be embarrased for even being connected with these kits. It's not easy to make a silk purse out of these sows ears, so i'm honestly pulling for you! Buddy Baker is an awesome guy and one of my faves of the old timers. I'll be watching this one with interest. Rock on Chris! B)

Looks like you managed to make a :"silk purse", Chris. How bad was it to make?

Looks great.....!

Tony

Thanks! The fit is actually good, the finish is something else. Their funny car kits are much better than the stock car. But there isn't many old school style stock car kits out there. I wish AMT or Revell would dust off the molds and bring them back out for a bit. Decals I hit with Testors decal bonder to keep them from breaking apart which all PL's kits with SLIXX were noted for.

You did about as good a job considering the kit and it's issues. Here is FYI for anyone that may build one of these.

Rear Spoiler- trim it at trunk edge...these never went over the body sides like the kit.

A Pillar- trim the back side to thin the A pillar the kit's pillar is way too thick.

Rear Fender- sand the ridge down and smooth it into fender the kit is too pronounced.

Front Fender- lightly sand the top of the fender to soften the top edge.

Grille Opening- Trim the inside of the opening so the grille unit will fit into the opening in a higher position.

Just these few things will help a LOT!!! My version of the same kit......Hersall McGriff's Petty owned Charger

mcgriffdodge1-vi.jpg

Edited by Dave Van