Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amazing

Well finally got my airbrush running tonight and laid a good coat of paint of my F40 kit. I am totally amazed at the quality of the finish. So much smoother than using rattle cans and deeper colour. It will need rubbing down and another few coats but looking not too bad so far.

So glad I went for a compressor as using a propellant can was just of no use to me.

Dave

:) You go, man! :P

I still do not understand how anyone who is serious about model building can use a spray can for their model's paint job! For the price of several kits which will not ever be built because we all have too many to build, one can get an airbrush which will transform your model building experience.

Spray cans are what caused me to get into airbrushing to begin with! :P Back in '85 I wanted to build what was then the rare kit of the IMC Cougar II (Actually in the Testors box). I was tickled to build this kit and wanted to give it the best paint possible.

I tried to spray can the body with Testors sprays (what else back then besides hot automotive?) and the paint curdled up like sour milk on the body!

I stripped the paint off the body thinking it was my fault somehow..................only for the paint to curdle on the body AGAIN, even after I followed all the instructions to a T! In fact the weather was perfect that day................Low humidity, zero breeze, you couldn't ask for more.

I decided right then and there to spend the money on the old Badger 250 series airbrush, and have never looked back! That airbrush is primitive by today's standards, but it got me to pay a lot more attention to paint jobs where as I hadn't before. I've never looked back at a spray can for body painting since.

Some folks swear by spray cans...............that's nice as far as it goes, I just like the extra control of the airbrush, not to mention not having to guess how much (or too much) propellant may be in the spray can at any given moment! :)

:) You go, man! :)

I still do not understand how anyone who is serious about model building can use a spray can for their model's paint job! For the price of several kits which will not ever be built because we all have too many to build, one can get an airbrush which will transform your model building experience.

Ditto B)

However...with the availability of Tamiya and even to a lesser extent Testors spray can lacquers (cheapie nozzles are their achilles heel, if you get a good nozzle you'll likely get good results), it's quite easy for people to get an amazing finish from their spray cans if they're satisfied with the basic colors offered in their spray cans. I've got many examples of models painted in "standard" white, silver, black, blue from Tamiya where I spent my time airbrushing interior/chassis components. That said, in the past year I've been decanting Tamiya sprays most of the time, I get a lot more mileage from their spray cans than I used to and the ability to mix/match colors to a limited extent. I sure wish they'd sell their entire line of lacquer colors in jars rather than spray cans. I sometimes cheat and apply the decanted paint slowly and methodically in thin layers, and then when I want that wet final coat I'll pick up the can and go for it! It's like the best of both worlds.

You probably remember my Phantom Corsair (you're the only other person I know has built one of these funky/cool Scale Kraft kits B) ), and it was shot with Tamiya TS spray can black, directly from the can. It's smooth from the spray can, but as with any black paint the real work comes after it's sprayed, micromesh and then careful steps of various liquid compounds.

PhantomFinished1-vi.jpg

I use both methods and get very good results, of course I always polish my finishes at the end anyway. I prefer the airbrush myself if I am painting a car with a lot of details such as moldings or scripts and stuff like that but a lot of the modern cars don't have lots of moldings like the old ones so I don't worry, I do however paint all my parts with the airbrush. If you do it right believe me no one can ever tell the difference............ :)

Thanks for your thoughts guys. I am going to sand down the finish a little tonight as it has brought out a few imperfections, bad prep I guess :)

I suppose I should have had an old piece of plastic to practice on as getting a good finish as its different with the airbrush. Never mind though I am having fun which i the important part.

Dave