Model Cars Magazine Forum

Audi R10 TDI progress

JHDrew

Well, I just had to buy one of the R10's after seeing it in action at Sebring this year. I didn't have plans to build it right away, but it just pulled me in. After looking at the parts for the engine bay, I decided it would be a very sparce opening without a few additional modifications. There are some serious filtered air intakes that need to be added. These were carved from ABS plastic and then lined with .010 rod. The two radiators were relocated as shown and piped to the engine.

The other thing that needs to be done is fill in the fastener locations on the front and rear fenders with putty as they are just way too big and deep. I will replace them with some metal dots later. When the Dexter photo-etch gets to me I can start on the other louvered openings.

Stay tuned and thanks for looking

AluminumFender019-vi.jpg

Jim

Jim, you appear to be off to a great start. I ordered one of these R10's and received it the other day. I have no time to start it yet, but went looking for as much reference material as I could find. There are a number of sites on the internet that have great detail photos of the engine bay and transmission on this car. ( the wiring and detail on the engine, of the real car, are amazing, you can go crazy trying to replicate them) You did a nice job replicating the air filters and piping that were missing. I do not understand why Revell missed such obvious details, but good to see you didn't overlook them. I am looking forward to your build as it will serve as inspiration for me when I get around to building mine. I know you will do a great job of scratch building all of the missing kit details. Please keep us posted as the build progresses.

Hello Jim

I also have this same kit. I have not started it as yet. I have attempted to find some detail photos of the engine

but what I have found so far are very basic. Do you have some URL(s) you can post?. Also I did not know of any

photo etch sets that are available for this model. Studio 27 say that they will have one soon. What have you found

from Dexter??. What you have done so far realy looks great!

Do you have some URL(s) you can post?. Also I did not know of any

photo etch sets that are available for this model. Studio 27 say that they will have one soon. What have you found

from Dexter??. What you have done so far realy looks great!

Hello Korky,

I got most of my photo info from these sites:

Motorsports

The Paddock

Speed Arena

Here is the Dexter site and Strada is carrying the photo etch set.

Dexter Photo Etch

Strada Sports

Thanks for the nice comments.

Hello Korky,

I got most of my photo info from these sites:

Motorsports

The Paddock

Speed Arena

Here is the Dexter site and Strada is carrying the photo etch set.

Dexter Photo Etch

Strada Sports

Thanks for the nice comments.

Buying PE, you hack.

I remember the days when you would whittle radiator mesh out of

a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup......

When you would vulcanize your own rubber for tires.....

When you would weave your own scale nylon for seatbelts....

When you would crush your own pigment to make just the right

shade of paint.....

The shame, the shame.

Buying PE, you hack.

I remember the days when you would whittle radiator mesh out of

a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup......

When you would vulcanize your own rubber for tires.....

When you would weave your own scale nylon for seatbelts....

When you would crush your own pigment to make just the right

shade of paint.....

The shame, the shame.

:(

I know, I know, but we should all be allowed to eat cake once in a while.

Blame it on technology and the video game generation, whatever, why do they get all the fun?

I want, no crave, that instant gratification.

See you in October for some chili and dogs (and fudge)?

Jim

:(

I know, I know, but we should all be allowed to eat cake once in a while.

Blame it on technology and the video game generation, whatever, why do they get all the fun?

I want, no crave, that instant gratification.

See you in October for some chili and dogs (and fudge)?

Jim

Man your turning into the Paris Hilton of model building...all style no substance

Yep I'll be there, was thinking about bringing some smoked country style

ribs with a Kansas City style sauce (still perfecting the recipe, but it's wicked good)

Have you got a approximate head count?

How many vendor tables you going to be running?

Fred

Edited by Taxdude

Take a look at www.mulsannescorner.com. They have a lot of shots of the R10 and also a lot of other prototypes. I use it quite a bit for references. Hope this helps.

Thanks Brendan!

More great pictures and a site that I put in my favorites.

You guys have been awsome.

Jim

The body is primed and ready to paint although I have not received the photo-etch it shouldn’t be a setback at this point.

I noticed that the engine front sits too far away from the front bulkhead. I cut the engine and transmission away from each other and added a 1/8†thick piece of plastic to lengthen the whole assembly. I also removed all the ribbing from the transmission and cut it down at an angle to the rear as it looked in reference photos. The air induction radiators were relocated tho the positions shown.

Stay tuned.

Primercoat003-vi.jpg

Primercoat002-vi.jpg

engine1-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

AWESOME job on the R10 Jim - first one I've seen completed.

Thanx for sharing your expertise and A/M parts; and thanx also to Peter & Brendan for the research links.

I too have seen these guys run, at Mosport (and they're so quiet, I wasn't sure there was really an engine in the back. Never seen a good photo either - only tarps LOL)

I picked up the kit a week or so ago, have PE on the way. Got the itch to get this one going.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...
...I picked up the kit a week or so ago, have PE on the way. Got the itch to get this one going.

Mike.

Was undecided about Dexter or Studio27 PE, so ordered both. Glad I did, each has excellent parts, and I'll be using a combination of both.

BTW, just realized this site is not mentioned above - good ref pics here too (about 2/3 way down the page). Cheers:

http://www.gurneyflap.com/sportproto2.html