Model Cars Magazine Forum

1986 Monogram '57 Belair

heinz74

Hi Folks

this is just another 57 chevy again..

anyway i built this kit way back in the day (87-88) for the first time ,like most here

as far as i can recall i never built the thing factorystock back then ,but more of a at the time current sreetmachine with the blower ,slicks Cragars and those strange flame decals

now 25ish years later things have changed a bit in terms of taste and skill

so after getting the chance to buy an original non reissued 1/12 57 Chevy i decided to do it all again

these original kits aren't really easy to find overhere,,so i was glad to find one in an online shop for 25 euro's which is about 20 Usd?

somebody had already started sticking pieces of the engine and tub together with somekind of household glue (and lot's of it too)

also most of the kit chromesprees had lot's of red styrene bleeding through making most of them useless

to top it all ,,the body had been cracked...i guess had been stepped on in the past or something

after all this i really didn't feel like doing the ###### thing anymore ,but after a week or so i pulled myself together and began work

afbeelding004ym.jpg

carefully refitted the 283 and painted it 'chevy engine orange',

started with sanding of big blobs of glue somebody used for the windowwinders...

afbeelding005a.jpg

they must have been wearing sunglasses or something ..

shot a few coats of primer after fixing the crack in the roof..

afbeelding001t.jpg

ditto with the pan and chassis

afbeelding010q.jpg

i did a lot of searching for referencephoto's on the net for these cars...but 'real' unrestored 57's barely excist these days so i stuck with resto..and what people who know their bussines told me

i hope i sort of hit the spot on this one

anyway...

the interior finished in gloss red...which didn't happen overnight..,did some flocking too

afbeelding024bs.jpg

floorpan airbrushed in red oxideprimer and black overspray

afbeelding017i.jpg

did some tons of detailpainting on that..

if you people would like to see more ,let me know

i hope you like it..the overall part fitment is not 2013 but i'm getting there..

greetingz!

ok ,some more progress..

in all honesty ,the model is allready finished after 6 months of work ,and i'm very proud of it since hardly building anything like this for 20 years except rebuilding /tuning 1/18 diecast Euro cars...

Anyway here's the engine all finished..and i know the wires should be black ..but the kit was missing them..so i had to figure out something else..

i also replaced the plastic fanbelt with a rubber belt from an old tape deck..just for detail sake and i added fuellines in the process

afbeelding020k.jpg

also added fuel and brakelines to the completed chassis..along with the flexible hose going to the rear axle and the splitter on te rear axle..

it 'll probably be sort of 'amateur night' to you guys but i think it looks fine..

afbeelding039o.jpg

being a former carpainter/bodyman i shot the sanded body with some 2 pack leftover VW 041 black i had in my garage..

this is just normal 1/1 Standox through a automotive 1,2 spraygun etc..

afbeelding027c.jpg

after curing for a week i wetsanded and polished it so the surface has no orangepeel and the shine is miles deep..

afbeelding043w.jpg

probably not like the real thing back in 57 ,but hey this is a restored car after all

well that's it for now..i hope you all like it so far ,,more to come if so desired

greetings!

A little more about the '57 again

as most of you know cars from the 50's were really loaded with chrome and a Bel air is no exception to that rule..

when i did this kit back in the '80s i probably just used silver paint and a brush for it's trim

nowadays there are more options available

i tried to locate some BMF for this occasion but couldn't get any ,even an online store was out of the stuff

plus the fact i never used any ever before and reading all the horror storys about it

i went the Alclad route..which works great..maybe even better

after a lot of masking i ended up with this..

afbeelding033.jpg

i think i'll be trying BMF in the future but only on a kit that is a little less covered in the stuff

anyway,after that i carefully dryfitted things together...which is always fun..

because things that fitted great before often tend to be completely wrong after paint etc

also glued the windows in with some epoxy after polishing out a zilion of scratches

afbeelding035y.jpg

Alcladed most of the kit's horrible chrome parts..and went back to final assembly

afbeelding042.jpg

the tires all had dents in them..the cost of beeing stored for years in akward positions ,but a hairdryer and some patiently massaging did wonders..,so i fixed them to the axles..

afbeelding040g.jpg

gave the grille a black wash also..and some detailpanting along the way..

afbeelding047rw.jpg

Ok that's it for now...more to come this week

greetings!

well after all that putting it together ,there really is no way back..

the chassis fitted horrible to the tub and shell..but after some gentle persuasion things came out ok (i think)

did a lot of detailpainting like the windowseals ,emblems etc

also the rear bumper and taillights did'nt line up after dry fitting so i shaved some edges off,

like earlier said i Alcladded most of the kit's original chrome so these parts were no exception

guess in the end they came out allright.

afbeelding045x.jpg

never mind the white particles on the roof and trunk..that's just dust or dandruff

afbeelding049.jpg

i cheated a little on the front fender 'fuel injection' emblems..

painting those was never gonna cut the mustard ..so i fabricated them on my PC..

haven't really gad the chance to shoot pictures in a proper way but this is the finished article..

afbeelding050.jpg

afbeelding051.jpg

if photographed in the right circumstances it could be mistaken for the real thing..hahaha ..

all in all not the greatest kit to build ,but when it's finished it looks great and even though it's basically a large 1/24-25 ,the door is wide open to add your detail to it..

maybe the 50th anniversary kit is easier ,i don't know..and rectifying somebody elses 'work'is never fun in this case..but i took my time with it..

probably could have built a rat or yunker out of it...but hey ..what's the use of that?..

anyway another vintage Monogram kit saved from the dumpster...now where am i gonna keep this thing?..it's 45 cm's long for crying out loud!

greetings..(better pictures will surface soon)

excuse my English ,it's bad i know