Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long does Testors gloss enamel in glass bottles last?

The only issue that you might run into is when it starts to crystallize in the jar . After sitting on the shelf for a long period of time , it develops a sand quality to it . Add thinner to it , shake well , strain it through a piece of ladies nylon stocking into another jar , and the crystals are trapped by the nylon . Paint is now good to go !

l have flat paint that is 10 years old but opening the the gloss so many times and it dries out on me after a year or so..

That's the biggest problem... you open it, some paint gets on the threads, when you close it the seal isn't airtight anymore, solvents evaporate, paint dries out. But I have a feeling if you found a brand new, unopened bottle from 20 years ago, it would still be good

Guest G Holding

Try this trick then : When done wipe threads clean , invert jar. As long as it is kept this way, it will not dry out as the only "air" is trapped inside. I learned this from a painter who swore by it !

My proof is the "sleeve' of Floquil solvent RR paints I purchased, opened, used and then stored this way for 17 years('84 - '01). When I found them I also had a unopened pint of Dio Sol...So I added a few fresh drops (after fighting the tight lid) of solvent and then sprayed them with my airbrush. I used the Floquil "rust" and as it is flat, worked perfect.

That's the biggest problem... you open it, some paint gets on the threads, when you close it the seal isn't airtight anymore, solvents evaporate, paint dries out. But I have a feeling if you found a brand new, unopened bottle from 20 years ago, it would still be good

As Harry Stated if the lid is cleabed the pait will last A long time. I have some that is 20 years old and still using it.

I've got several bottles that are at least 20 years old, if I could get the lids off I'd use them! I periodically (like once every 5 years maybe) give them a shake to see if they mix up and they seem to. I probably won't use them now, they still have the price tag from the store I bought them when I was a kid and have more sentimental value than paint value.

Wow, that is good to hear! Next question is, anybody found a great way to shake the paint?

My bottles are sealed well but the pigment has separated, ie, color on top, the clear on the bottom. Anybody got a miniature paint shaker?

Wow, that is good to hear! Next question is, anybody found a great way to shake the paint?

My bottles are sealed well but the pigment has separated, ie, color on top, the clear on the bottom. Anybody got a miniature paint shaker?

Micro Mark makes a nifty little tool that fits right down in the bottle and spins from power of a AA battery. When you are through mixing paint just spin the tool in a little bottle of thinner then wipe it off. Cost is about $12 I think, sorry I don't have my catalog handy but, you can order on line.

Micro Mark makes a nifty little tool that fits right down in the bottle and spins from power of a AA battery. When you are through mixing paint just spin the tool in a little bottle of thinner then wipe it off. Cost is about $12 I think, sorry I don't have my catalog handy but, you can order on line.

rmvw guy, just looked that up, man. Never even knew that existed.

New version, $50 http://www.micromark.com/paint-shaker-120v-ac,6781.html

Old School, $11 http://www.micromark.com/Cordless-Mixer-for-Model-Paints,7616.html

Let's pony up that money now, boys. We all need a paint shaker / stirrer.

I have bottles of Pactra from the '50's - '60's . When I bring paint (in bottles) home , I open these , wipe Vasolene PJ on the threads sparringly . Not enough to enter the bottle . Store turned upside down , with a B-B in it to agitate . The only time I had an issue is when I placed a B-B in Alclad Chrome . I shook the bottle and it exploded . Won't do that again . Thanx for the tip about Grainy and filtering / thinning . I use a Micro Mark 110 V shaker . I am on my second strap now . Thanx ..

For really old paint that I'm actually trying to use (vs the neat old bottles that are as old as I am and just part of the collection) I find it better to stir than shake. Stirring mixes up the thick stuff at the bottom better and makes a more consistent viscosity and coloring. Not that you can't shake, but stirring sometimes is necessary to get old paint mixed back up.