Model Cars Magazine Forum

'69 Pro-Touring Nova

LOBBS

I want to try and finish something for the Heartland Nats so this one is back on the bench. She's about 90% done and was the last project I was working on before I stepped away for awhile. Had I not burned thru the paint while polishing it out she'd be under glass. They've done such a fine job cleaning house around here that I'll post just the highlights of my previous thread rather than resurrecting the old one.

LSx/T-56 crate motor

IMG_6151.jpg

IMG_6149_zps0de628e8.jpg

A couple of interior shots. Custom-made digital gauges and added some painted headlights to simulate speakers.

IMG_6252.jpg

IMG_6249.jpg

Tamiya Clear Orange over MM Dark Bronze was the original paint scheme. Had a heck of a time trying to fix my burn-through so it got stripped. Probably black this time around and if I've got enough paint left over from the previous attempt I'll lay down an orange stripe. Otherwise, shaved everything and removed the vent windows.

IMG_4664.jpg

Added in some subframe connectors.

IMG_6142.jpg

I've got a long weekend with the holiday so hopefully I will get the body cleaned up, filler fixed that was eaten away when I stripped it and re-shot.

Edited by LOBBS

It's a combination of parts from the Revell '02 Camaro SS, Revell C5 Corvette and Revell Silverado kits to make a proper LSX crate motor.

I updated this combo to the LS7 from the Revell 2006 Z06 and I'm getting ready to send it off for casting. You can find my thread on it in the Resin section of the forum.

Great color, love the concept on the engine. I thought an LSX was an LS that was converted to run a carb, is that right or am I off in my own little planet (as usual)?

Edited by Nate

Great color, love the concept on the engine.

I thought an LSX was an LS that was converted to run a carb, is that right or am I off in my own little planet (as usual)?

Yep, as Eric posted the LSx nickname is a general reference to the post-'97 small block Chevy lineup. This would include the LS motors found in the Vettes, F-bodies and others as well as the Vortec truck line of small blocks which are architecturally identical.

Yep, as Eric posted the LSx nickname is a general reference to the post-'97 small block Chevy lineup. This would include the LS motors found in the Vettes, F-bodies and others as well as the Vortec truck line of small blocks which are architecturally identical.

The LSx is a create engine that is made of cast iron.It is based on the LS engine and can be bored out to 460 c.i.d

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Nova up on all fours. Aoshima 19" Kranze LKZ's and brakes from the Revell C5 Vette. Body is finally stripped so I hope to get the base black down tonight. I have to make a quick trip to the hobby shop tomorrow for another can of MM Bronze and she'll have an orange stripe this time around. I'll really be pushing to have this done for the Heartland Nats this weekend.

IMAG0237_zps960b678c.jpg

I'm glad I test fitted the body before I repainted. The tires are fitting a little wider than I anticipated. They're not coming off without breaking something so I guess it's time to do the scale equivalent of rolling the inner fender lips. On these Novas, there is a rather large bulge on the inside of the fender lips. It is probably designed into the mold to ensure the body fills out. I should be able to take enough off to squeeze the tires in.

The LSx is a create engine that is made of cast iron.It is based on the LS engine and can be bored out to 460 c.i.d

Thank you for saying this! I see people interchanging the two (LS / LSX) all the time. if I understood the info I have seen, NO GM car has come with an LSX.