Model Cars Magazine Forum

So I went to get my glue and found everything is rock solid. Yes, it's been that long. I was going to start on the Dodge L700 frame. So as an update from the more experienced, what glue do you use?

Edited by Swifster

Glue is a tool, and like any tool you need the right one for the job. In my arsenal...

Testors Liquid Cement

Tenax (similar to Ambroid)

Loctite Super Glue - Ultra Gel Control

Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue (My preference, but there are several water soluble choices like Testors Clear Canopy Glue - the idea being you can clean up residue/finger prints with water and it dries completely clear.)

I also have some 2-Part 5 Minute Epoxy, but I don't think I've had to use it yet.

Edited by niteowl7710

For me it all depends on what I am gluing. Here are the following what I use:

Weld On #3 (similar to Ambroid and Tenax) but I get it in quart sizes which makes it much cheaper in the long run

5 min Epoxy

Zap a gap Super Glue (green bottle)

Plastic Zap super glue

MicroScale Micro Kristal Klear - this is a white glue that dries as clear as can be. I haven't found a better white glue.

gator's grip Acrylic Hobby Glue... great for photo-etch pieces

Glue is a tool, and like any tool you need the right one for the job. In my arsenal...

Testors Liquid Cement

Tenax (similar to Ambroid)

Loctite Super Glue - Ultra Gel Control

Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue (My preference, but there are several water soluble choices like Testors Clear Canopy Glue - the idea being you can clean up residue/finger prints with water and it dries completely clear.)

I also have some 2-Part 5 Minute Epoxy, but I don't think I've had to use it yet.

I had Testors, Loctite and Elmer's. The Elmer's had not been opened. I have some 2-part Epoxy that was never opened.

l am still old fashion. l still use testors orange tube glue still..

Time to join the 21st century, Carl! :D

Good old fashioned tube glue is ok for some things, but like the guys have said, there are better glues for different circumstances. For me, I use liquid glue for general building because it's such a clean, neat joint with no "squish out" or "strings" like you get with tube glue. I use Ambroid Pro-Weld because it works on several types of plastic, not only styrene.

I think if you tried liquid cement, you wouldn't go back to tube glue.

Time to join the 21st century, Carl! :D

Good old fashioned tube glue is ok for some things, but like the guys have said, there are better glues for different circumstances. For me, I use liquid glue for general building because it's such a clean, neat joint with no "squish out" or "strings" like you get with tube glue. I use Ambroid Pro-Weld because it works on several types of plastic, not only styrene.

I think if you tried liquid cement, you wouldn't go back to tube glue.

l have tried them Harry, but still like the tube glue. l do use loctite on hard to hold parts...

It's subjective.

Everyone will have a different answer.

I suggest picking someone who's opinion you trust and try what they suggest.

If you don't like it or it doesn't work with the way you work or you come across a situation where you don't have anything that will work then try another suggestion.

It's only glue and it won't break the bank.

We all have our favourites and will all swear that they are the best or only choice.

Personally I use Testors styrene cement (black & red square plastic bottle) or Revell professional (blue bottle long metal spout), Tamiya thin glue, 5 minute epoxy, gel type super glue, Microscale crystal clear, Future, clear acrylic paint, Bondcrete (PVA adhesive) and kids stick glue.

I also seem to get a lot of random glues in started kits I buy from Evil-Bay. I always try them as well and that was how I discovered the Testors styrene cement. I'm currently trying out a bottle of Faller Expert glue I got through this method.

Edited by zenrat

My LHS started giving out free tubes of glue with every model. I took one the first tube because I didn't realize it was in the bag, but for 8 months now I have to give Marc his tube of glue back. I could open a tube glue distribution warehouse had I kept them all. Better to save him the money and let it go home with the kid/returning builder who that free tube might make the sale.

The different types and uses have been covered pretty well by the guys who commented in this thread. Maybe sometime I will break out that old tube glue and use it to build one kit for nostaglia and to remind myself how well I have it now compared to when I was a kid. FWIW, the first model I ever build was built with that useless lemon oil smelling Testors non toxic stuff. When I was finally allowed to use the orange and white tube I thought it was the good stuff... I suppose back in 1986 it was the good stuff. Welcome back to building.