Model Cars Magazine Forum

'25 T-Bucket "The Shamrock"

ToyLvr

Hi Folks:

Here's my '25 T-Bucket, which I call "Shamrock" due to the metallic green color (plus I unveiled the rough draft on the weekend of St. Patrick's Day). I finally got it done after working on it off/on for approximately one year.

My local model club decided to adopt the AMT '25 T as the official kit for our internal contest last year. I'm not much into Model-T or Model-A Fords, but I decided to play along and build a couple (I do respect the Model T's place in our American automotive history).

Since I don't have much background with these cars, I read some 1:1 magazines to get some ideas. I spotted a roadster with this color scheme, and really like it. I also read where there's a trend towards using "alternative" powerplants these days, instead of the traditional Ford Flathead or SBC V-8, so I looked around in my stash and came up with something *really* alternative. I leave it to some of you more eagle-eyed observers to see if you can identify it.

This was built mostly "out-of-the-box", with some mild kitbashing. Wheels are from the recent "Sock-It-To-Me" '62 Vette kit, with the brake drums from the '25 T Ford "phonebooth" version, modified to fit together. I got the rear tires out of the recent tire "parts pack" so the white wall sizes would match (the kit-issued tires didn't match). I fabricated the gas tank, using the chromed tank end-caps from a couple of the Model-T kits. Tail light is from the recently reissued "Fire Truck" model-T show car. Paint is Testors Metallic Green with Testors Citrus Yellow interior.

I hope you find it amusing. Comments/questions/suggestions are always welcome - I'm always looking to improve.post-10758-0-58250600-1377292439_thumb.jpost-10758-0-67001500-1377292482_thumb.jpost-10758-0-03555400-1377292523_thumb.jpost-10758-0-81671600-1377292554_thumb.j

For those interested, the engine is a "Wankel" 4-Rotor rotary, which I sourced from an MPC '74 Corvette kit. "Corvette, you say"? For those who weren't around then, or don't recall, Chevy briefly considered powering a restyled Vette with a rotary. They even licensed the engine for production, and ultimately built a concept car. The project went away about as quickly as it came. I've always thought it would've been neat, though, as the engine supposedly would have developed 350HP. Anyway, that's more than sufficient HP to motivate my little T-Bucket!post-10758-0-15800800-1377390479_thumb.j

Edited by ToyLvr

• 2 weeks later...

interesting combination of old 'n' new. I remember a guy who would tout the benefits of rotary engines; had a mazda with a wankle engine.

next one, you might consider sliding the engine a skoche closer to the firewall, but maybe this particular transmission needs the clearance - I dunno?

Thanks to all for your comments.

And yes, that suspension is quite "fiddly" to get together.

The engine is kinda far forward. The tranny, which was attached to the Rotary from the MPC Corvette kit, is a GM Turbohydramatic, and takes up a lot of space, so I had to compromise.

I am working on another T-Bucket which will have another rare engine, so stayed tuned to the Workbench for more details...