Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 Chrysler 300 (488.1 cu in)

om617

So i started one more kit (dont ask why lol) and some ideas popped in as i went along. I`m pretty sure it`s been done

before,but it is a first time for me trying to scratch build things as frames and modify the body. The donor is the Dodge

Viper GTS from AMT. Only thing left of the original frame is the mid section. I also modified the firewall to get engine

enough backwards so it went clear of steering components. This again gives a lot of room in front of the engine and

in real life,nice weight distribution.

Well,here are some progress. Comments are welcome.

012-1.jpg

012.jpg

013.jpg

006.jpg

009-1.jpg

014.jpg

I like that you're trying to use practical, 1:1 real-car engineering. No make believe toy stuff. Very realistic.

Continue and great workmanship.

You may have to remove that heater core box though to clear the head and intakes.

I like that you're trying to use practical, 1:1 real-car engineering. No make believe toy stuff. Very realistic.

Continue and great workmanship.

You may have to remove that heater core box though to clear the head and intakes.

Thanks. About the core,it goes clear when the engine is mounted like it should. It`s only "there"

as a mock up for the pictures. This said,i have no idea how it looks behind the firewall on the

real thing :blink:

Looks good. A custom firewall would be fitting for this project.

Thank you. This is not an bad idea. Problem is i have glued the wall to the body.

I might take it apart and try make a new one if i get trouble with clearance when

the frame is going onto the body.

004.jpg

003-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

Frame is more or less done,needs some finishing up here and there. The radiator,oil cooler and intercooler will be mounted

to the body. Maby try make brackets on the inner fenders instead of an entire beam under the whole package. Not decided

on the exhaust,but i want it to go all the way back. I suspect it`s going to be an challenge to find

wheels that fit with the amount of widen track <_<

Thanks!

I`m surfing the web for ideas for color. First one is aluminium-ish roof with some really

toxic light green body,but eh.. maby very in you`re face,this is an classy car after all :unsure:

Another thing i`m very unsure about is if i should ditch the bench seat. Would be nice

to have room for six,but cornering this car sitting on that thing would be an challenge.

Also there is the issue with how to change gears since it`s an manual. That said i have

noticed that in old light weight or what to call them,performance cars of the early 60s

often do have bench and 4 on the floor.

Ken: I was hoping to keep it mostly stock looking as for bodywork,glad you think it`s a nice idea :)

Lee: If i tip the engine in an angle i could maby have done it. Instead i moved it back for going clear of the

steering rack,pullys (see first pic) and oil pan. It might look a little more extreme than it really is because of the way the

pictures are taken. I`ll try take some new/better ones so the position of the engine are more clear. When it`s

in,the room in front is not more than it have to be.

Wonderful idea. I'm pretty sure the fuel tank is not a structural member. You may have to remove the stock tank and install a trunk mounted fuel cell. Then you can locate the rest of the rear frame of the IRS securely to the remaining stock frame. Too much 1:1 engineering?

Walt O'Brien

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful idea. I'm pretty sure the fuel tank is not a structural member. You may have to remove the stock tank and install a trunk mounted fuel cell. Then you can locate the rest of the rear frame of the IRS securely to the remaining stock frame. Too much 1:1 engineering?

Walt O'Brien

There is clearance between the tank and the rear frame,hard to notice on the pictures maby. The thought for the frame going a bit over the tank was it could be an nice location for fuel pumps & filters etc. The tank will still be possible to remove after the frame is mounted. In my head that is ^_^

I might go up on rubber,but this is how it stand on original Viper wheels and rubber.

007.jpg

004-1.jpg

003-2.jpg

Mock up of radiator & oil cooler. The pully`s and fanbelt are not attached here,so it kinda shows why the engine is moved.

006-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

Tommy, keeping your front bench also makes all your interior match. It also has a little sleeper version going on with the viper engine. I have a m2 1/64 scale diecast of this model Chrysler and its a light metal flake green with a white top. Nice work so far...

Great job setting up the chassis, the car has a nice stance. If you have not settled on a color yet, I think a nice subtle earth tone color would look really good on this build.

Thanks. About the colors,how would burnt orange look?

post-11584-0-68965300-1387322706_thumb.j

Tommy, keeping your front bench also makes all your interior match. It also has a little sleeper version going on with the viper engine. I have a m2 1/64 scale diecast of this model Chrysler and its a light metal flake green with a white top. Nice work so far...

Thank you. Bench would be nice,also some other type of wheels who does not give away what is lurking under the hood.

Might look very cool,but i`m not decided on color yet. Ideas are more than welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

So,i went a little crazy on the color (s) :blink: Added some foil and it went better than expected. Oh well,had fun so far.

020.jpg

021.jpg

023.jpg

024.jpg

026.jpg

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

Not decided on wheels but these Pegasus might look okay. Have an idea that brown interiour might go good with the in your face green?

Anyway,some progress at least.