Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Van´s of the Seventie´s

HI,

Since i was a little kid in the seventies,when i was at 1:1 carshows with my dad i always liked the incredible custom vans.

I have thought for many years that I would like to build a tribute to the typical style.
Then it will be to cut out the doors of the van and then scratch build the interior.

I've started, and realized that it was quite difficult to fit with what you want in the interior.
Does anyone have an idea or pictures of interiors in a van model?

Fred

Lol great timing. I'm working on a AMT Ford van. I made horseshoe bench and table for the back. I'll post up some pics as I get closer to finishing it. Word of warning... this kit was very warped out of the box. Nothing is lining up, and the way things are going so far, it looks like I'm going to have to glue the hood down to get it to look right.

Edit.... the revell chevy van went together much easier, less warp.

Edited by fat50

For reference info, try vannin.com.

If you want diamond-tufted interior, look at AMT's '62 Pontiac custom. The back seat is a bench. You could get several and make a C-shaped couch in the back.

Tamiya's r/c "Vanessa's Lunch Box" van is around 1/12 scale and a pretty good representation of a '70s Dodge. The body is styrene and easy go work with. You'll need go make a chassis and interior, though. It is sold with a monster truck type chassis and no interior. The body can be had for cheap on EBay. If you want to go large, it's a good start. The Cragar S/S mags from Monogram's 1/12 '57 Chevy look good on it, and they are certainly correct for the era.

Edited by LDO

Revell 70's custom van and the earlier issues Convoy, Hardy boys etc had a basic interior lay out, most Monogram and Revell Chev's had nothing to offer and I think MPC offered the best appointed interiors in 1/25 scale.

Bigger scale like the MPC 1/20 vans have full interiors and opening doors making them a better option and the 1/16 vans were even better again.

Unfortunately, the Revell Van Parts Pack did not really come with much for the interior. It has a "Wall Unit" with a stereo and t.v. and that is about it. The rest is pretty much what comes standard in most van kits.

The MPC Vans had work cabinets and other small pieces, but nothing really custom. The Revell Chevy van had a full interior, and they are all the same, that will require some trimming to fit in other vans.

Find a donor Revell kit and scavenge for parts or just make some custom stuff of your own!