Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/10 scratch built Holden HX Overlander Panel Van

prestonlal

• 2 weeks later...

Been a real busy week at work setting up stuff...kinda settled down now...so started to do some more stuff.....

image.jpg1_zpsucbwqjt9.jpg

Actually was wondering how to attach the hood relief piece to the hood, then I thought ' why not try casting it in silicone?' 

image.jpg1_zpsswxi6kih.jpg

Mixed up a batch of silicone mix and tossed in some black pigment and some white....got it a nice dirty looking grey...lol! 

Straight from the mold...

image.jpg1_zpsvwlu9mwu.jpg

Next to an x-acto blade  to give an idea of the thickness....

image.jpg2_zpsony6dmfx.jpg

All trimmed up...gonna clean it off with some cascade shortly....!

image.jpg3_zps7nzuut76.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsony6dmfx.jpg

All trimmed up...gonna clean it off with some cascade shortly....!

image.jpg3_zps7nzuut76.jpg

Watcha think? :D

Couldn't wait to see it, so dug out the Sandman and tried it on for size! Needs a bit more trimming around the magnet area so the ends pull in some more, so the hood closes properly...heh...! Starting to like this moldy business ! :lolbeat:

image.jpg1_zpsnsnacz4r.jpg
image.jpg2_zps2sz6ybjl.jpg
image.jpg3_zpslygsskfd.jpg
image.jpg4_zps0im7sy8i.jpg
image.jpg5_zpskk7kuzmd.jpg

I've loved following this on the Aussie forum, owning 3 Holden vans I'm very biased towards them.

I can get measurements Preston if required, things have slowed down for me here so I now have time to measure anything you need. Since getting cancer and settling into chemopherapy and treatment I've stopped working so have time now if you need help at all mate.

Cheers Rob

Hey guys...not much of an update....more like another 2 steps back....
Just found out that it's not gonna be easy to glue the silicone flares to styrene without some kind of chemical activator...not something I want to do after I paint the body, as I want the flares to be removable.  3M has a special double sided tape that bonds on one side to silicone and the other side to regular materials (plastics, metals etc). One roll costs around 142.00 

So decided that I'm gonna re-cast the flares but this time with some magnets imbedded in the casting, then I could mount magnets on the inside of the fenders, so the flares can be removable even after painting...well that's the plan at this point for the flares... Won't happen till I get back home in September though, as I didn't bring the molds with me...

Did a mock up using some magnets....flares look pretty good on the body...

Some pics, watcha think? Will try to take some clearer pics in the daylight tomorrow ...

image.jpg1_zpsahsnflte.jpg
image.jpg2_zpshum1scyw.jpg
image.jpg3_zpsdrot3dh2.jpg
image.jpg4_zpsb9ftcjr7.jpg
image.jpg5_zpspwnstnpj.jpg
image.jpg6_zpslz8sn2ij.jpg
image.jpg7_zpstb53g1fk.jpg

Edited by prestonlal

• 3 weeks later...

The roof is done............NOT !!   

Lol...hope I'm doing this the correct way...ha!  Sprayed it with some primer then used used the green as a guide coat....was the only TS paint that I had at moment...you can pretty much see some of the low spots as well as where the single part putty shrunk on the front slope....

Getting a lil closer...still a lot more to be done on the roof...learning curve is a pain in the butt though...:

After wet sanding the above, prime, sand some more, added more putty, sand, prime, some more putty, sand then prime....I think I got the front slope sorted. Got some of the low spots on the top as well as the sides sorted...I think. Got this big depression running down the right side to build up still..hoping I have enough putty left...will know for sure tonight when I shoot a layer of paint on it .....

Anywho...some pics...

A little better...still not there...ha... I sure picked a doozy to start body work with...
The front slope looks ok...I figure I can go with it as is...gonna have to build up the sides where it looks curved or convex , as well as figure how I'm gonna level out and smoothen the areas on the top...you can see where it shows up with the paint ...think I may need a finer grit sandpaper...not sure though...

image.jpg1_zpswo4nketq.jpg
image.jpg2_zpshewzxnwe.jpg
image.jpg3_zpsaz5ybd7a.jpg
image.jpg4_zpsb6dlaifn.jpg
image.jpg5_zpsui2fbral.jpg
image.jpg6_zpsigihuhjg.jpg
image.jpg7_zpsd3cija4l.jpg
image.jpg8_zpsdb9znryq.jpg
image.jpg9_zpsnwpz4jhw.jpg

Edited by prestonlal

wow you should be congratulated on persistence alone! plus that is shaping up (npi) to be quite a truck! doing those long flat subtly curved and slanted surfaces is a hard task especially if you want everything symmetrical. I admire you for sticking with it and it looks like its going to pay off soon.

jb

wow you should be congratulated on persistence alone! plus that is shaping up (npi) to be quite a truck! doing those long flat subtly curved and slanted surfaces is a hard task especially if you want everything symmetrical. I admire you for sticking with it and it looks like its going to pay off soon.

jb

Thanks jb! Hoping to get some more done on the roof so it can be completed then move on to the nose panel....!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys...back in the saddle again...finally! :blink: ha!

Did some work on the front panel...figured how I'm bolting it on. Also got the bumper mounts sorted, just need to let the tubes for the screws cure properly before mounting it... 
Still trying to figure how to mount the grille to the front panel, hoping to get that licked tonight! I want everything bolted on but removeable, so it will be easier to paint... Also need to work on the front stone shield...

Haven't touched the roof since the last post...gonna need to get going on that as well...decided to get the front panel sorted first just to get back in the groove...lol. I think my buddy said it best... Body work can be a joy or an absolute nightmare...lol!

Anywho...some pics...in the last pics the bumper isn't bolted on yet, just wanted to get the look...ha!

Got the bumper mounted, but went a different way than screws...used magnets to attach the bumper, cuz like a big idjit, I put the bolts that attach the front panel to the radiator panel right where the bumper needs to be..:facepalm:
This meant the once I bolted the bumper to the front panel, the bumper will be blocking the bolts to attach it all to the face panel...ha!

Figuring on using magnets to attach the grill as well.....

Anywho ...couple pics....

Another small :update:....lol!

Got the grille installed with magnets...! Looks pretty sweet...:excited:

You can see how it's mounted with magnets just above the screws on the front panel, and the corresponding magnets on the grille....

So tomorrow night I will probably work on the front indicator assemblies...still need to figure out how I'm attaching the logo to the grille...gonna have to set it up so it can be attached easily after the grille has been painted...! 
Will probably also cut a couple of the logos into two separate pieces : the word 'Holden' and the lion emblem to use on the dash etc.

Anywho....some more pics....watcha think?:thinking: