Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Chevy Gasser

Hopsing

Well, after completing my '48 Ford custom, I've decided to venture on and build a Gasser. I had picked up the Revell Ed Roth Bel Air with the intention of building a custom out of it utilizing the Roth art work, But I have to say that this kit pretty much sucks, LOL. The amount of flash and mould lines is horrible along with the fit of some of the parts such as the front bumper. Anyways, somewhere I took a wrong (right?) turn and I decided that I wanted to build a Gasser out of it after seeing a few pics of the real thing. Here are a few pics at the start, I've only been working on it for a few nights here and there...mostly sitting and staring at it mocked up trying to figure out my next move. I've got some resin stuff coming for it and it will be my first time working with it. It will be powered by a Hilborn injected 427 with a manual trans. I've already started moulding the front end and converted it to a one piece flip front. Havent't decided how I want to do the interior as far as leaving it mostly stock or making it a little racier. Hope you enjoy the pics, suggestions, questions and comments are welcomed! Thanks for looking!

post-14784-0-58202900-1418274051_thumb.j

post-14784-0-55504700-1418274113_thumb.j

post-14784-0-85692400-1418274141_thumb.j

I've glued the doors shut permanently as the fit wasn't that great and I didn't want to deal with figuring out how to hinge them since the fenders were no longer going to be in place for the hinges to attach. Still have some tweaking to do on the firewall/inner door jam area, but its coming along nicely I think.

post-14784-0-32075200-1418274214_thumb.j

post-14784-0-33841300-1418274234_thumb.j

Edited by Hopsing

Look forward to see how your Gasser turns out. I also bought this kit thinking it might have been built off of the new '57 Chevy. I put it back in the box for another day. Where did you get the front axle setup ? Depending on how far you want to go you might replace the Fire Wall with a flat sheet of plastic as many of the gassers did that. Roll Bars would be one idea. Leave the back seat out and some light weight bucket seats. Real easy to go into an Altered class with an engine set back and the rear end slides forward to just behind the doors.

Look forward to see how your Gasser turns out. I also bought this kit thinking it might have been built off of the new '57 Chevy. I put it back in the box for another day. Where did you get the front axle setup ? Depending on how far you want to go you might replace the Fire Wall with a flat sheet of plastic as many of the gassers did that. Roll Bars would be one idea. Leave the back seat out and some light weight bucket seats. Real easy to go into an Altered class with an engine set back and the rear end slides forward to just behind the doors.

Roll bar and backseat delete are already on the list! The axle actually comes in the kit! It leaves a little to be desired so I may have to find something else or do some scratch mods to it. Firewall is getting smoothed out as well. Just needs a good sanding to get rid of some molded details. Thanks for the input!

Thank you sir! I've got some ideas I want to add give it some realism. Not looking to do an exact copy of the real thing, just get it to look "right".

As mentioned the firewall door jamb area is looking real good,you got my vote for the right turn.Great start on this one!

I've got some PE wiper blades if you would like to sand those monstrosities right off...

just sayin

Looking good so far ..nice job on that firewall to door jamb

Cheers

Thanks, but I think I'm ditching the wipers all together and just going to have "standoffs" where they would be.

Couple of small updates, nothing major. Got my resin wheels, Hilborn injection system, tires and valve covers from Speed City today. Got started assembling the 427/manual trans from the Revell Yenko '69 Nova and mocked up the suspension once again withe correct wheel/tire combo to get a good look at where I'm headed. I like it! The straight axle that comes in Ed Roth '57 is pretty basic and lacking in details, so I've started doing some work on it to give it some more realism without getting too crazy and scratch building everything.

post-14784-0-69337400-1418453852_thumb.j

post-14784-0-10592900-1418453872_thumb.j

post-14784-0-13874300-1418453885_thumb.j

Here's a few photos showing how I modded the stock straight axle.... added some parts box disc brakes that I'll de-chrome, modded the end of the axle to work with the Speed City front wheels and widen the track width slightly. Then the fun part, making the ends of the leaf springs look at least a little like they should. Now to make some hangers and shackles, and mod the tierods to look like it could actually steer. Hope you like the updates! Thanks for looking! I appreciate the comments and feedback.

post-14784-0-05889500-1418454182_thumb.j

post-14784-0-68292000-1418454196_thumb.j

post-14784-0-18885800-1418454216_thumb.j

post-14784-0-69288700-1418454230_thumb.j

Wheels look great. Did you say the came from speed city? Did the straight axel and springs come in the Roth kit? Your doing an awesome job on this project....

Thanks!! Yes, wheels and rear tires were from Speed City. The front axle does come in the Roth kit.

Small update...... just been cleaning up the chassis of its flash, lettering and ejector remnants but managed to scratch a trans crossmember and basic motor mounts. I'll go back and try to add a little detail the mounts later, but for now, it gets the '69 Nova 427/4 speed combo mounted in the chassis where I want it. Next up is getting the suspension mounted.

post-14784-0-70538300-1418922386_thumb.j

post-14784-0-88662100-1418922395_thumb.j