Model Cars Magazine Forum

NASCAR -- this floored me

A major problem with any racing car kits comes down to licencing agreements (using brand names and logos); coupled with the fact that every season cars change. This creates a lot of work for the kit producers, new box art, decals and instructions at the very least.

And really how many times will you buy a slightly altered kit just because it's this seasons version (WRC even changes decals for many of the individual rallies)? This creates a low volume of sales per kit issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup....

Nascar Kits are not popular at all anymore....

The only ones I ever bought were the Days of Thunder cars....

Only because of the movie tie in, not to build....

and yet, we still have a very healthy NASCAR thread on this very board. :lol:http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showforum=32 and there just buildin' away. ;)post-11893-0-16373700-1423105697_thumb.j11-02_zps9a45b7e8.jpg006a_zps6911cb5f.jpgpost-2219-0-21919400-1418817116_thumb.jp013a_zpsc80b4e64.jpg

Around here (metro Detroit) you usually can't even give away a NASCAR kit.Local clubs even discourage using them as presents at the annual Christmas "Dirty Santa" gift exchanges.Anyone who tries it and is found out is openly criticized.

Having said that,I was surprised last November when a vendor at the D.A.A.M. show was successful in unloading several Mongram and AMT NASCAR kits from his late brother's collection for $8 to $10 each.Most of these were Petty and/or Earnhardt kits.The others did languish and are still unsold.

I have several NASCAR kits in my stash.I've never built one but with their low value I'm thinking I might build some just for the experience(after all,if I mess the thing up I have plenty more to use)and then use others for a good source of parts for other projects and for painting practice.

Edited by ZTony8