Model Cars Magazine Forum

Volksrod pick-up

restoman

Back at it this morning...

Took 6mm out for the chop, not too radical but I like it. Works out to a scale of roughly 2.5 inches.

A lot tougher to do the upper cab corners. I thought i had an old truck cab but it's nowhere to be found so I'm piecing it together a bit at a time. Going to take some file and filler work...

I'm undecided yet whether or not I'll run a drip rail around the back of the cab or stop it at the door edges and slope the rear roof right into the back panel... depends on what I can come up with out of the parts box.

The box is coming along nicely, pretty happy with it so far.

attachicon.gifVW Mar 1 3.jpgattachicon.gifVW Mar 1 1.jpgattachicon.gifVW Mar 1 2.jpgattachicon.gifVW Mar 1 4.jpgattachicon.gifVW Mar 1 5.jpg

This build is coming along GREAT!!! I really like the fact that You've kept the stock rear fenders to keep the Bug identity. About that chop, it's really well performed, but did You really chop as much as 6 mm? It sure doesn't seem that much by the pictures... Also, 6 mm is about 6 scale inches in 1/25 scale. Every millimeter is equivalent to an inch in full scale as one inch is 25,4 mm , divide that with 25 and You get 1,016 mm. Keep up that good work! I'm a big VW fan and I really like this build!

I agree with the others, really nice. I even like the top chop now as it does indeed make the lines flow better :)

It looks good to me, too. I don't think you took as much out of it as the one in your OP. Whatever, the proportions look pretty darn good. B)

Mike,

That is really looking great! I love it when someone thinks outside the 'box'. Imagination makes building the models fun, whether it's the extra detail on a stocker or going the extra step like you're doing. I did something similar a couple of years ago, I did it with the PT Cruisers. I have a stock body, a 2 door Sedan Delivery, a 'Ute' pickup, a 2 door coupe and a funny car. I plan a gasser to be finished this year as well. Keep those ideas rolling and have fun.

I like it. I wonder what you plan to do with the fan shroud? It looks like it will stick up past the floor of the bed, if you plan to use the upright engine. Most of the conversions I have seen, use a pancake engine, from a type 3 or type 4. They are barely taller than the cylinder tins on an actual engine. Just a thought.

Yup, the engine is going to be loud and proud, sticking up for everyone to see.:)

I toyed with the idea of building some kind of tounneau cover for the box, but haven't done anything along those lines yet.

I found a blade style bumper that will work for the front, don't think I'll do anything for the rear.

Thanks for all the comments. :)

Mike

Fab'd a front bumper and mounts, looks close to original.

Overall, pretty happy with how it's coming together.

Re-route the exhaust and finish an interior door panel and then on to the body work. I'm used to dealing with full scale hot rods and restos, this scale should be fun!

post-14849-0-52458800-1427815756_thumb.jpost-14849-0-38992500-1427815783_thumb.jpost-14849-0-67952500-1427815804_thumb.jpost-14849-0-73387800-1427815831_thumb.jpost-14849-0-89131600-1427815856_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

On to the bodywork...

I was losing sight of the lines in bare plastic and grey putty so I roughed it out and gave it a shot of primer, just to see where I'm at.

Some touch-ups here and there and a fair bit of line scribing but overall I'm happy how it's shaping up. :)

post-14849-0-75475400-1428966733_thumb.j

post-14849-0-13588400-1428966753_thumb.j

post-14849-0-79623800-1428966767_thumb.j