Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlits Swamp Rat 1R

Dragline

This site and a few magazines have gotten me back into modeling full tilt. I've been here trolling a bit, offer this and that but nothing of my own.

So here is a car I started many years ago. It has sat in the box that sits in a bigger box full of kits and my tools and supplies. And while the spirit occasionally hit me to break em out and start crafting it usually faded behind Battlefield II, my once big bad band, guitar playing in general, drinking brewskis, chasing girls, blah, blah, blah.....

So when I picked up a magazine [i can't say it, but you know which one], the bug hit me. I saw great craftsmanship and was truly inspired. I picked up a couple of back issues of Model cars and I was off to the hobby shop and eVilBay.2jenyie.jpg

I bought lots of stuff over the last few weeks and have been on here regular like. I enjoy seeing the WIP stuff especially so I have gotten my camera together. It was in need of an overhaul and I have 1 Staff photographer and another enthusiats in the family but they never did come to my rescue. I got it all squared today so here are only a couple of shots of where I am in the build.1zgew4w.jpg

Lots of work to do clearly but she is coming along pretty well. I'm going for mostly correct with maybe a few artistic changes.

30cy3x2.jpg

Enjoy them and I will post progress here as it may come.

Bob Frias

AKA: Dragline

Edited by Dragline

If you need a reference source for detailing a copy of HOT ROD May 1971 would be ideal, MPC even used the cover for the kit box and Don's How it Works leaflet is taken from the feature. :lol:

John

I have that very issue HRS. I ended up with a very nice copy that I use as reference. It's funny to me that after 2 weeks of Googling and what have you that I have ended up with only a dozen pictures of what is one of the most historically significant cars in all of Drag Racing. Sure, it isn't the first rear engine, but it's the one that worked. I really need shots of the front of the motor. I have PE linkage and I want to represent the throttle as it was. I am a dilligent guy if nothing else and I will get them.

The rear wheels are from the Swamp Rat XXX kit. Thanks to Big Daddy for not changing things, These are the same rims that he used for this car [more or less]. I am using Pegasus resin rear rotors and they are drilled out. I'm sure Big didn't use drilled rotors, buy I couldn't find it in my heart to putty up the holes they are so nice. Tires are Satco

I just got a 2nd kit from eBay and am in the process of dechroming the controls and running gear. I'll get rid of all the parting lines and Alclad it all this week. for some reason i lost quite a few parts over the years and the decals as well. They'll turn up somewhere perhaps but the kit was only 7.00 and there are no aftermarket decals for this car that I could find. I also pirated a chute from a revell T/F car as well.

I do need a set of PE front wheel for this thing. MAS.com seems to not be taking orders. Any word?

Dragline

• 3 weeks later...

Some update pix here. As can be seen I've installed [hard to see frankly], the port injection and block as well as painted the expansion tank lines. A decent look at the primary injection lines as well.

21114zo.jpg

Here I finally got around to installing spark plug boots and I installed a set of turned aluminum breathers. The kit breathers are more correct, but were murder to clean up and these were just laying around in their package sooooo.... I built another fuel block for the primary injection of a more realistic proportion and installed header gussets to each bank. Tins are painted and decaled awaiting clearcoat. Frankly, the decals are not very crisp but they are all I can find.

25rcbvp.jpg

Here we can see the brake lever and it's plumbing. I plan on building ALL controls, so throttle, clutch, chute and fuel shotoffs are next on the list. Comments are welcomed of course. I think my pix are clearer as well which is a good thing. I'm also going to have another go at those dots on the Mag. just not quite right.

1snxa9.jpg

Fuel pump is on deck as well as PE throttle bits. I have a PE starter bracket and wonder if it should be against the blower case or held out on rods. Either way, it should be fun replicating all that stuff in the coming sessions at the workbench

Bob F

Dragline

Edited by Dragline

• 2 weeks later...

i had very high hopes for this project

it was looking really good

and i was exited to see some of these "artistic changes" you spoke of

and then

i saw

this

:)

21114zo.jpg

i just dont think this is the best wheel placement bob, your toe in and camber will be off the charts :blink:

all joking aside though

i love where this build is going

very nice detailing

Edited by diymirage

How interesting that the night I decide to add a couple of progress shots I get a comment. Lotsa looky-loo's but no real critique. I can take it, good or ill!

Be that as it may I indeed have a couple new shots and I will take your wheel placement ideas under advisement. I was LOLing when I read it. I wasn't sure where it was going till I scrolled down.......

I have installed a starter bracket and throttle in this pic. This stuff is soooooo tiny I nearly lost it 1/2 a dozen times. I pray it can be seen.

25z330i.jpg

Got the tins cleared so I carefully mocked em up to see how it'll look. I now have to button up some of the controls [not in shot] and finish the Alcladding. I have to shoot the interior tin Metalizer Alum which is coming in a few days. then it's time to route some control lines and get the fuel delivery [including pump] finished so i can install my premade AN fittings.

bezn0x.jpg

I'm thinking a Tom Daniel box stock build for my next so my eyes will have a vacation.

Bob F

Edited by Dragline

:Ddragline

Mas is Machined Aluminum Specialties and they are excepting orders. You can contact Terry Kinnear Jr. He is the new Owner. He purchase it late last year.

You Can Contact him at 1-814-282-9244 After 8:00 am - 10:00 pm EST

Email terrykinnearjr@embarqmail.com

Or you can Mail Him at

Terry Kinnear

1711-3 Vineyard Drive

Wilson, North Carolina 27893

He asks that you Please allow 3-5 Weeks for Delivery on all types of orders. But often it's less than that.

He has done a Great Job so far and has updated a few Parts and will be releasing new Product Lines soon

The web page hasn't accepted orders for the past 3 years that I know of. It is their for reference until Terry's

new site is up and running.

Also I have the decals in my kit. will a color laser copy on clear decal paper work for you?

Enjoy Yourself

Ernie :blink:

Thanks oldman. I'm going to order a set Sat morn. Looks like it'll be 80's degrees here in Baltimore so I'm skating all day. Just got my 40" Pocket Pistols slalom deck all set up so I'm hitting the asphalt all day. I have made some progress with my build and will post new pics in a day or so. You all know how it can be, just not feelin it sometimes. Been like that for at least a week but I worked on it tonight but mostly things that will be attached later. I have the pump and fuel lines mocked up and they look good so that is possibly next although the scratch built clutch and hand controls are beckoning to be fastened. I need to spray the interior tin Metalizer titanium. Perhaps that's what I'll do later tonight. I'm also replacing that blower belt. I cringe every time I look at it now. TOOOOOOOO thick.

Bob F

OH! Thanks for the decal offer, but as you can see I'm now past that. Most appreciated though.

Edited by Dragline

I work with Don on the Museum in Ocala. If anyone wants pics from the cars let me know and I will send you a pic of any car in the museum.

Heck Yeah we want pix!

As many as you can rustle up. If I had to pick I'd say the JJ car and the SR 1-R [i'm being selfish here but he did ask what I wanted].

Is the JJ car still there? If so, I would like detail pix of that [fuel, brake, drivers area, body tin from the inside]. you know, stuff we could all use to make a seriously accurate JJ car. I have a 1/16 in the wings and have been buying things like fuel lines and fittings and other goodies. I would like to build THE most accurate replica out there and pix would go a LOOOOOONG way to achieving that.

That said, is there anything I could do for you in the means of a barter? A way of thanking you...

Please let us all know and many thanks for the offer.

PS: ANY Garlits car pictures [detailed] are welcome here.

Bob F

I work with Don on the Museum in Ocala. If anyone wants pics from the cars let me know and I will send you a pic of any car in the museum.

This would be great.

My personal wish list

Swamp rat 19

1) Interior

2) Bell housing area

3) rear axle with 2 speed and centre section

Samp rat 13

1) interior

2) shot from behind, with decals and lettering

3) Straight down shot of decal on front wing (also on SW12)

Any of the above will do.

Thanks

Hans

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys, with the onset of Summer upon us I pack up all my modeling gear till the Fall. I had hoped to get more done on this project and at least post a few more progress pix but there has been little in the way of that. Other than things that have yet to be attached there is little to see. I'll still be prowling these pages of course but building has always gotten sidelined during the warm days of the year in my case.

I'm still buying PE items and kits all summer so I will stay up to speed, but the building is now shut down till the days begin to grow shorter. The truth of it is I'm going to be working on my 1:1 project which is putting a supercharged Ecotec into my 2000 cavalier SS. If it goes well and I'm able to pony up the needed cash I will have quite the sleeper on my hands. As it is I will be outdoors most of the summer and working out in my new gym. I even uninstalled Battlefield II!!!!

I'll be watching and commenting as time allows.

I'll be @ Englishtown June 13, 14 with my Dad, and will be hitting the many East Coast tracks as well this summer. Richmond is close by and that will be fun later in the year.

Enjoy the Summer and get out!!!!!

Bob Frias

AKA: Dragline

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm building a set of wire wheels for this. I got the "How To" at www.striaghtlinemodeler.org and it's turning out great. I still have to find the nose piece for it. It seems to have gone missing. I also have to add the throttle from the framerail just below the right header t the fuel block. I scraped the fittings last night to make em look used. I stole the idea froma Don Fahrni Pro Stock I saw somewhere. What a difference that makes to the appearnence. Then it's the front wing, attatch the fuel shutoff and it'll be PAU.

Next up is the Snake Cuda.

2r2swg8.jpg