Model Cars Magazine Forum

50 Plymouth resin

This is a resin body from R&R Resin of a 1950 Plymouth 4-door. I know little of this company but they have many bodies available nowhere else I have seen. The service was prompt and courteous. I purchased this particular vehicle as my first car was a ’51 Plymouth Cranbrook and this was the first early Plymouth model I’ve ever come across. The kit consists of body, chassis with holes for metal axles, interior bucket and dashboard. The front and rear bumpers/grill are chrome plated. The castings do require cleanup but looked well proportioned and body was straight. Detail of head and taillights cast as part of the body was low. Chrome trim on body was well cast except for low resolution in parts of windshield trim. Body overall had virtually no pinholes and was very smooth. Resin was quite thick, though I see this as an advantage considering the front end mods I will need to do converting to a ’51.

As for my plans for this body, I will be converting it to the aforementioned 51 model. I attached a photo of my 51 .. a 40 plus year old photo! The front grill and surrounding body work and hood end is the major difference but look workable. Will need better headlights. Possibly from another early 50’s kit. Bumpers look easily modifiable with a little sanding to round out. I have a lot of projects on the table but will post in “workbench” once the bodywork starts. I’m new here, but have been modeling and hacking up cars since the late 50’s. The talent and camaraderie here has HOOKED me to this forum .. such a pleasure to be a part!

50PlymouthResinSide_DSC9630.jpg

50PlymouthResinRear_DSC9629.jpg

50PlymouthResin_DSC9625.jpg

51Plymouth02copy.jpg

Edited by Foxer

Welcome Foxer! I saw that kit at the last show I went to. Yeah, Ray has alot of RARE stuff, but check it out closely to see if it's worth the hassle to build it. He is kinda hit an miss in his castings, but most of his stuff is workable without too much trouble. I've gotten quite a few models from him, so I'm talkin from expirence. Sometime he's the ONLY game in town! :wub:

Looks like your gonna do alright there,kidd-o. Let us see some wip pics as you build yer lil Plymouth. :lol:

whew.. "no pressure"! This one is gonna have to wait until I DO finish something.

I have been thinking, of course. The front of the 51 bears a strong curve resemblance to the 51 Chevys! I have a couple 51 Chevys sitting half done and they are beginning to get nervous. The Chevy headlights are about perfect and one set has been impounded to the Plymouth box.

Even better, the grill/hood interface is very close. One of the Chevys may get scheduled for more radical front end work and lose some of its curved panels. :P The top of the chevy grill will be useful as the backbone of the front reshaping.

Edited by Foxer

I have been thinking, of course. The front of the 51 bears a strong curve resemblance to the 51 Chevys!

I was going to suggest the AMT '50/'51 Chevy kit as a donor, especially for the nose of the hood and the upper grille frame, but you beat me to it. :):rolleyes:

Looks like a fun project.

I was going to suggest the AMT '50/'51 Chevy kit as a donor, especially for the nose of the hood and the upper grille frame, but you beat me to it. <_<:lol:

Looks like a fun project.

But thanks for the eye confirmation on the similarity, Casey.

i hope to see this posted over in the "workbench" section. i have two 1:1 '49 Plymouth's, my coupe project car and a 4-door parts car. i've seen this resin kit before and passed on it because i don't really think it looks very close at all to the 1:1, but i am looking forward to seeing your build up of it. wink.gif

Dave

a 1:1 50 ...ooo... anywhere I could see pics on that?

The resin body isn't the greatest I've seen, but seems closer than anything else around! I see more and more as I ponder this project. Door handles are sunk and will need removal, fill and replacement. Leading edge of rear fenders need some contouring, but that's due to conversion to 51.

I had some other evil thoughts. The L-Head 6 in the 41 Plymouth seems to be a dead ringer for the 51. Seems that engine was made from late 20's well into the 50's at least. The external dimensions remained all through that time with just some bore and stroking going on. I have to keep CURBSIDE on my mind!! ehhe

I don't expect I'm starting this anytime soon, but I'll "Workbench" it at the first scent of chopped resin Edited by Foxer