Model Cars Magazine Forum

Whitewall Tire Tutorial

mrmike

I found an easy way to make whitewall tires. You will need to purchase the following.....a white Gelly Roll pen which is available at Michael's or AC Moore craft stores and a circle template also available from Michael's or AC Moore.

001.jpg

Select the appropriate circle size for your tire and center the template over the tire. Using the Gelly Roll pen, draw the whitewall around the tire.

002.jpg

Now set the tire aside and repeat with the other three tires. Allow the ink to dry completely and you are done.

003.jpg

Edited by mrmike

Great idea, Mike, and I plan on giving it a whirl.

I had picked up a white gel pen at Michael's, but neither they nor A.C. Moore are carrying them any longer, they both claim to have received too many complaints of these pens drying out. Now I just need to find my white pen again....

I've been looking to see if a white technical (liquid) pen is made by anyone, as I'm wondering if that might be an acceptable substitute.

Charlie Larkin

Great idea, Mike, and I plan on giving it a whirl.

I had picked up a white gel pen at Michael's, but neither they nor A.C. Moore are carrying them any longer, they both claim to have received too many complaints of these pens drying out. Now I just need to find my white pen again....

I've been looking to see if a white technical (liquid) pen is made by anyone, as I'm wondering if that might be an acceptable substitute.

Charlie Larkin

white out pen

Are these pens available in red? That'd be good for redline tires too. B)

I did try the red Gelly Roll pens and the ink did not dry at all. They must use a different type of ink in the red pens. I have tried several different brand red pens with no luck what-so-ever. I did try an acylic red marker made by Elmers that worked pretty well, but the point on the marker was a little bit too broad to produce a thin red line. If anyone does find a suitable red pen/marker, please let us know!

I did try the red Gelly Roll pens and the ink did not dry at all. They must use a different type of ink in the red pens. I have tried several different brand red pens with no luck what-so-ever. I did try an acylic red marker made by Elmers that worked pretty well, but the point on the marker was a little bit too broad to produce a thin red line. If anyone does find a suitable red pen/marker, please let us know!

Do a narrow whitewall w/the Gelly Roll pen, when it is dry go over it with a red fine tip Sharpie. You may want to seal the redline under a thin coat of dullcoat/clear flat acrylic.