Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Hot Shot & Trailer

First thing was to cut & stretch ...

000_5438-vi.jpg

I had to remove the back half of the gas tank and relocate it back to the original position ...

Now I've got to fill, sand & smooth the joints.

000_5439-vi.jpg

I filled in the front of the sleeper I cut off the Pete and located the window.

Gotta fill the rough edgeas and more sanding.

The truck had small ledges in the window opening for the glass that had to be removed also.

I've gotta figure out something for the rubber seal between the cab and sleeper.

000_5442-vi.jpg

Heres a simple mock up to test fit.

000_5444-vi.jpg

I solved my gap between the sleeper & cab problem ...

000_5449-vi.jpg

000_5451-vi.jpg

and since this will haul a goose neck trailer I made a new tail gate ...

000_5445-vi.jpg

I haven't decided on a color yet but I think it might end up being black ...

000_5453-vi.jpg

I also started on the trailer today. It's a fairly simple build.

I didn't like the kit wheels so I got some chrome ones from the parts box.

I'll finish painting it and the truck when it quits raining here.

All the build pics are here ... http://public.fotki.com/old-hermits-garage/25th-scale-trucks/mcm-community-build/

000_5454-vi.jpg

I'll post all updates here and drop a link in the community build thread.

Im sorry if Im wrong, but I believe this belongs in the Pickup thread. Somebody correct me if im wrong please. Also thats very creative adding a sleeper to a pickup. Ive never seen that before.

Nope, he posted this build right where it belongs!

The other section says pickups and "non-commercial" and this rig IS a commercial hauler! There for it belongs in this forum!:angry:

what is a hot shot?

A Hot Shot can be any number of trucks from pickups to semi's Justin.

They are used to transport LTL, expedited, time critical or 'Hot' loads.

Several major companys have dedicated fleets just for these type loads.

Heres some pics ...

5c0c5ecb76f5c071a7a5536f4a8c8e0b.jpg

image019.gif

Truckpicture-medium-init-.jpg

I hauled a few conversion vans out of Elkhart on a hotshot rig! GMC Topkick? I think the truck was.

I was driving for a small trucking company and the owners brother was running a hotshot (he actually had a fleet of 3) and had a heart attack. So they loaned me out tohis company just to keep his rig rolling until he could find a permanant replacement driver!

I got the truck & trailer painted this AM. The trailer is dull aluminum & all that's left is to paint the lights and a few other details.

The truck is Testors Bronze and will need clear before going any further. Anybody know where I can get colored, in scale wire for the pigtail & air lines ?

000_5478-vi.jpg

000_5479-vi.jpg

000_5480-vi.jpg

Anybody know where I can get colored, in scale wire for the pigtail & air lines ?

I've seen some on ebay, but I think I've seen some use wires out of old phone lines. You could also look at Radio Shack or Best Buy, they should have thin gauge electronic wiring there, or even some craft wire from a craft store like Michael's.

By the way, you'd only need the electric wire on this one, since the trailer brakes would be electronic on the trailer.

Telephone wire will work well, or CAT-5 cable (both are 24awg). You could also check the model railroad section of your LHS for some 30awg stranded. That won't "coil" well, but it does look like air hose. Rasio Shack had speaker wire, which is way too big for 1/25.

By the way, I like the color.

Go to Radio Shack and look for their 'winding wire' ... it is single strand, coated with thin plastic. It holds shape well and the white insulated can be easily painted or colored with Sharpie markers in any color desired. In addition to your need, I often strip the insulation and use the single conductor for things like bungee cords (just paint it as desired) or microphone cords (coil it around a straight pin shaft) or any number of small guage wires, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. The insulator can be used as small hose (flexible fuel lines, etc.) or spark plug boots.

A package of three spools will last nearly forever. It's great stuff ...

B)

I use phone wire from Wall mart 25' it will last me a year or so..Warp it around a coat hanger wire then heat it up with a flood lamp to hold it shape. Then the cheap kind from the dollar store don't even think about it,kinda translucent hard to shape.

Nice work. So, what exactly is the use for the sleeper in this application? Would it actually be used for sleeping, or is it more for storage?

Yep! No different than a big rig! You get tired youcan just hit the rest area or truckstop and catch a couple hours of z's!:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

it's definitely for sleeping and a pretty cool idea really....my dad bought an old 88 f350 and I drove it for a while, in the morning I would ride with him to work( we both worked at the same lumber mill, that actually supplied all of those trailer companies near Elkhart Indiana ) and when we would go to work I would sleep in the bunk until it was time to clock in.........about an hour of sleep extra....

Chad