Model Cars Magazine Forum

how the heck do you mold a tire?

i have some nice 1 piece molds, but i want to make a nice tire for once and theres some bubble tires i want that wouldnt look good with one side flat so ill need to make a 2 piece mold do i do it the clay method some tires are too soft to mash into clay whats a good trick for doing so without the tire loosing shape.

Holy cow!! I bet Al would love an order like that. Don't send it yet though. Let me get the M/T Sportsman tires I ordered. More seriously, I wish I could help you but 2 piece molds are still kicking my butt.

i ran out of my fujimi tire stash i also need some super specific muscle car tires and a ton of low pro 20s and some 22.5 low pro dually tires.

A very good way to do a two piece mold for a tire was in a short lived magazine called IN SCALE. It was only out for two issues. (Very) simplistically you brush on some RTV on one side of the master and let cure,This way the RTV can gas out and let any bubbles pop. You then secure the master in to a vessel with this side down and pin it suspended in the vessel(a butter tub was shown in the article) you can then pour RTV into the tub and fill to the halfway point of the tire,let cure and then apply mold release to the cured rubber/master and finish the pour. Hope this is clear and I'll try and post this article if I can.

To follow up with Mike Kubaca's comments, I remember seeing something similar in an old issue of Scale Auto. IIRC the author of the article wanted to make copies of some old OOP VW tires/wheels and was faced with making a 2 piece mold like you described.

I believe he used Legos to create a box and like Mike's description, the tire was suspended in the box and was poured in halves. I think straight pins were used to hold the tire in place.

If I get a chance, I will dig through my old mags and see if I can find the article.

What you want to do are 1 piece glove molds, or some call slit molds. You do these by not using clay or doing 2 piece molds, but as a 1 piece..1 time casting.

Start by glueing a piece of rod or the like to the tire ( i use hot glue) to act as the fill port, but what this does it suspends the tire in the mold box. glue the fill port to the base of your mold box, pour your silicone as you would. You pressure casts like me, correct frank?

When your silicone is cured, you will use a xacto knife to slice part of the mold equally on both sides of the fill port to about halfway to either side of the tire, so only part of your mold pulls apart. You can cut the center of the wheel opening when you stretch the mold apart..or you can put a spacer in the tire before casting that shields both halves of the silicone.

When your master is pulled from the mold and the 2 halves f the mold are together you are left with a pretty seamless mold aside from the fill port.

_1077522-vi.jpg

_1077520-vi.jpg

_1077519-vi.jpg

_1024046-vi.jpg

Edited by RyanSilva

tiremold1.jpg

tiremold2.jpg

tiremold3.jpg

Here is a tire mold I made a few years back. These are the rear drag slicks from an original Tom Daniels Groovy Grader kit. You have to imagine that the part just left of the tires is the blue clay and the master tires are just barely setting on the little stands of clay. The mold part to the left of that is the silicone that is poured over the tires and clay. Once the silicone is cured. It is unboxed and flipped over and the clay is removed. there is no reason to remove the tires. A good coat of Price Driscoll mold release is sprayed over the exposed surface so the next pour of silicone will not stick to the other part. And then you pour the silicone in and cure. The tires are really hard to remove, but they are better than nothing. The bottom pic shows how wide these babies are! I think it is a 1:24 scale kit.

tiremold4.jpg

Here is yet another tire mold I made. It is more recent. I think it is from a diecast. Notice that the inside opening is formed nicely. It is to be stretched over the two piece diecast wheels. One has some black resin residue stuck to it. I bought some resin that does the black tires from Aero Marine and it set around for sometime before I tried it. I pretty much ruined this mold from trying to remove the uncured resin from it. This type of mold goes through a lot of stretching to remove a tire from it. I made some from Task 8 resin just for showing you. I don't have the master tire anymore.

Edited by Greg Wann

Frank I would leave a bit more room around the tire, unless you are using this as a test. :)

One more thing about when its time to slice the mold, make nice clean cuts, if you do short jagged strokes, you can make a rough parting line and that will reflect on the tread line. I found using a stiffer silicone helps with the block molds and making clean parting lines.

@ Dave, Thanks! Its been working for me for a few years now, with both rubber tires and resin, I aim to produce only clean high quality castings of everything I do.

2 more things about this. The length of your fill port/support reflects in the mold, so when casting you want it to be at least a 1/4 inch long. Dont try to skimp and make a smaller one to save on silicone, what happens here is that half of the mold will be left with less support when its all cured, and can give you oblong tires. The width of your port matters however small parts can have smaller ones, just flap part of the mold open and pour, then close it,

with wider tires sometimes you will get bubbles that rise up and hide under hard edges like around the fill port, sometimes they cant sneak around that edge and up the port to gas out, so to combat this you make a wider fill port with some styrene, the width of the master tire (say a pro street) if using resin you can get away with a thin wide fill port, if using rubbers I suggest using a 1/4 inch bub in center and the .60 styrene on either side of it. I will have more pics tomorrow.

Ryan, that is some SUPER nice work there and a very helpful post

Greg? sorry, but that is some rough looking stuff there

Yes, the bottom tire is pretty rough as I beat the mold up trying to get the black uncured resin out of it. Your focus is supposed to be on the mold design. Did you even notice that my mold re creates that groove that is supposed to be in the tire? I had made some perfectly good tires from this mold before. I'm still on a learning curve for making tires.

http://smcbofphx.pro...play&thread=661

Here is a link to a post on my forum from when the mold made perfectly good tires and I made the other wheel parts.

Edited by Greg Wann

Frank I would leave a bit more room around the tire, unless you are using this as a test. :)

One more thing about when its time to slice the mold, make nice clean cuts, if you do short jagged strokes, you can make a rough parting line and that will reflect on the tread line. I found using a stiffer silicone helps with the block molds and making clean parting lines.

@ Dave, Thanks! Its been working for me for a few years now, with both rubber tires and resin, I aim to produce only clean high quality castings of everything I do.

2 more things about this. The length of your fill port/support reflects in the mold, so when casting you want it to be at least a 1/4 inch long. Dont try to skimp and make a smaller one to save on silicone, what happens here is that half of the mold will be left with less support when its all cured, and can give you oblong tires. The width of your port matters however small parts can have smaller ones, just flap part of the mold open and pour, then close it,

with wider tires sometimes you will get bubbles that rise up and hide under hard edges like around the fill port, sometimes they cant sneak around that edge and up the port to gas out, so to combat this you make a wider fill port with some styrene, the width of the master tire (say a pro street) if using resin you can get away with a thin wide fill port, if using rubbers I suggest using a 1/4 inch bub in center and the .60 styrene on either side of it. I will have more pics tomorrow.

its a test but the rubber compound i use is a solid as a brick too