Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes W154

Webb

This was built from an old 1/20 scale kit by Casadio/Revival. These kits are mostly assembled with screws and a few nuts and are almost entirely metal. Very little glue is involved but there is a LOT of test fitting to get everything to line up just right. This kit came with the body pre-painted but it looked like hell so I stripped it and repainted with Duplicolor silver.

Chris

post-9795-0-36849500-1337481723_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-46134300-1337481775_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-21739400-1337481829_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-25364100-1337481892_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-66106300-1337481941_thumb.jp

post-9795-0-91038300-1337481991_thumb.jp

Nice build of a challenging kit Chris. I've built the Auto Union and Ferrari 500 Casadio kits and know all to well how bad the factory paint jobs are and the need to constantly test fit to get things aligned.

I found the metal they were manufactured from was hard and quite difficult to work with compared to the metal of Model Factory Hiro kits.

Edited by Roncla

Thanks all! One of the reasons I wanted to build one of these kits was BECAUSE of the wheels. All I did was shoot them with dullcoat. The louvers were painted with un-thinned flat black enamel. I will brush it on, or "in" as the case may be, and just as it turns flat, gently rub away any excess with the side of a toothpick. It works great as long as the body paint is lacquer. I wouldn't want to try it over enamel.

Thanks again,

Chris

Nice build of a challenging kit Chris. I've built the Auto Union and Ferrari 500 Casadio kits and know all to well how bad the factory paint jobs are and the need to constantly test fit to get things aligned.

I found the metal they were manufactured from was hard and quite difficult to work with compared to the metal of Model Factory Hiro kits.

Thanks Ron. I have one of the Auto Unions myself but have only gotten as far as reading the instructions. I have to get "psyched up" to start another one of these kits. I agree about the metal. I built the '58 and '59/'60 250TR from MFH and they were both much easier to work with.