Model Cars Magazine Forum

1951 Bel Air (AMT)

LMDAVE

always interested in this vintage chevy. when i was about 6, the family went without a car for almost a year. you know when you're so poor you don't know you're poor?

anyway, Dad picked up one of these humdingers for $50 or so, and that was better than walking! things got better from there, but i left a soft spot for early 50 chevies.

carry on ....

Thanks guys, funny, I got the color combination after I got home because I was thinking of the movie Rain Man, but that car was a 49 Buick Roadmaster, not sure if there is a kit for that. But I like the color combo of the outside and the interior from that movie. Even thought Rain Man said the seats were original brown leather now they are pitiful red. LOL

Also, I'm going with white walls, and matching body paint on the rims rims with chrome hub caps. Should have a shot of the wheels soon. First time painting the white wall on the tires.

hello dave, I have that same kit lined up for my next build, do yo planed to lower it? i am planning on pretty much stock but want to lower it a bit

look forward to following your build

Ronnie

Thanks jdean, no I don't plan to lower it, but that is a cool mod to make, I'll be watching your when you do it.

I still have my old old old version of this! It was one of the very first kits I built. It was molded in blue and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing.

I had rebuilt it at some stage, but I have it in a box now stripped and waiting for another go. Except I have no idea what happened to the chassis! I do want to get this kit you have that is available now and then scratch up a chassis for my old one, then do a side by side stock and rat build.

Will watch the progress on yours mate. Love the early 50's cars.

Well, here is a shot of the body with the first coat of color, and the match tires. The paint should really pop when I add the clear to it. I paint a Fender guitar of mine this same color, so maybe in my final pictures I'll take a pic of the two together.

410972859.jpg

410972858.jpg

Nice match to Moonlight Cream.

A couple of notes.

1. There was no white from the factory. Moonlight Cream was a close as you got. Dealer two-tone? Sure. Special order using another division's color? GM would do that for a small charge. Just an FYI, no criticsm at all.

2. Bel-Airs used a cloth and leather interior. The leather portions would have been red, along with carpet and possibly the painted metal surfaces in the interior. The cloth was always light gray, regardless of the leather or exterior color.

There's a listing to all this information at The Old Car Manual Project. I'll try to find it and post a link her for your reference.

Most important, have fun.

Charlie Larkin

As promised...

This is the main color chart. 2154=Bel-Air. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/51020.htm

This is the details on how the paint will be arranged inside the car. http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/chevyresto/51021.htm

I'm leaning towards Thistle Gray/Trophy Blue with a blue/gray interior for mine and Thistle Gray with the black top and red/gray interior for my convertible.

The red, from what I've seen, was a darker red.

Charlie Larkin

Thank Guys.

Charlie, thanks for finding that color info. I did notice that Cream/White was not an option, which was a surprise, because maybe they thought the contrast would be too close and no one would want it. I like that contrast because it emulates the Classic Fender guitar that is Vintage white (cream) with a white pickguard.

As for the interior, I'm disappointed in the lack of pictures I can find on the internet of 1951 interior (EDIT: Actually if I seach BELAIR as one word I get more results now). A lot of the pictures I found show the upper line of the interior sides matching the body color, then the other two color contrast from there. And I had no idea that white in the interior was light gray. I'm going take the liberty there and match that with the roof top white. This is the only one I find of the red/white contrast I'm going after. But, I'll follow that document as much as I can.

410982423.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

This is what it's looking like, and if you see, the upper rim matches the exterior body color as if it wrapped around from the outside. The white red contrast was pretty bright white, maybe a light light gray would not have been that noticeable. So, I tried a very light black was over the white...not sure if that was a good idea, but at least it'll give the interior a slight aged look.

410985550.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE

This is a dry assembly of the interior, still need to add the flocking, some paint touch up, and extras before finalizing it, but shows the color pattern and how the body color plays a part of the interior.

410992148.jpg

Edited by LMDAVE