Model Cars Magazine Forum

99 Cobra Mustang

66belair

This is only the second kit I've been able to work on,Revell's 99 Cobra. I'm doing this one in Tamiya Metallic Green which is close to Electric Green that was offered from 99-01. If anyone has suggestion for a good high gloss clear it would be most appreciated.

post-7396-0-55720300-1426586908_thumb.jp

post-7396-0-95424200-1426587158_thumb.jp

post-7396-0-36931100-1426587198_thumb.jp

You can always go with Tamiya TS-13.It's back on the market.Just be aware that you have to apply it within 30 minutes of applying a color coat or wait AT LEAST 30 days if you don't catch the 30 minute window.If you fail to follow the guidelines the color coat will crack under the clear due to different solvent evaporation rates of the color and the clear coat.

The next suggestion would be to use Testor One Coat(non one coat) clear.It sprays out thicker from the can than TS-13 but there are no cracking issues and can be applied over decals without the worry of destroying them(unlike TS-13).

You can always go with Tamiya TS-13.It's back on the market.Just be aware that you have to apply it within 30 minutes of applying a color coat or wait AT LEAST 30 days if you don't catch the 30 minute window.If you fail to follow the guidelines the color coat will crack under the clear due to different solvent evaporation rates of the color and the clear coat.

The next suggestion would be to use Testor One Coat(non one coat) clear.It sprays out thicker from the can than TS-13 but there are no cracking issues and can be applied over decals without the worry of destroying them(unlike TS-13).

I just did a 66 Fairlane with Testor's one coat clear, came out very nicely if I say so myself. Did it over Testors 1833 White Lightening. She shines nicely!

Looking good so far. I don't see many new edge Mustangs being built around here. I wish someone had released an 03-04 Cobra. As for the clear, I've read that Tamiya TS13 is good, and it would be good for you to keep the same brand clear coat as your paint.

I built one of these a couple of years ago...man, I had fits getting the interior to fit right with the body! Finally ended up slicing and dicing to MAKE it fit!

Yepper, too bad that no one has ever done the 03-04 cobra's! I even wrote to Revell and asked them to manufacture a kit. Got back an answer that they couldn't get the rights for it from the blue oval people!

At least I got an answer even if it isn't what I wanted to hear!

I haven't built this one before but I did work and still do work on these from time to time in1:1 and they didn't sit right new. I have a regular 99 coupe that's dropped and 2 inches makes a real difference. I gonna go full box stock this time and tweak the second one. What all did you have to modify to get it to go together?

I hope to have more pics soon as I am working on the interior at the moment. If anyone has built this kit before I need some info. The instructions don't show an A/C compressor being installed but on is in the kit. Does anyone know if it will fit or is it for a different version?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...