Model Cars Magazine Forum

On the farm, Kenworth W900 1/16th

Been lurking for a long time around here, getting ideas and what not. First post and really my first build. This will ultimately be a present for my Dad when I get it finished, complete with display case that I will build myself as well.

First off this is something that I have wanted to do for a long time just had to get up the nerve to start it. Below is the inspiration for the build and what I will be replicating (to the best of my novice abilities).

This is our 1974 Kenworth W900 that we have owned for about 25 years now and still use. I have found memories of driving this in my late teens. Winding up that 8V92 Detroit and double clutching for that next gear.

I am doing blog updates on my site as I go on the blog HERE With Way more pictures As well as video updates on my Youtube Channel HERE

I probably won't be scratch building the trailers as a.) The display room will be at a premium as the tractor is 20 inches long itself

b.) Not sure if I have the skills right now.

8092721_orig.jpg

trucktractor.jpg

1281468_orig.jpg

Here is what I am starting with.

5773162_orig.jpg

7941795_orig.jpg

503256_orig.jpg

5840475_orig.jpg

4845618_orig.jpg

Judging by the weathering, I'd say go for it with making a trailer.

I go back and forth daily on whether or not I want to invest time and supplies in the trailer. If I do build one it will be the traveling axle Landoll tilt bed, although the Cornhusker hopper would be easier. I do have a 1/16th scale CAT Challenger 45 to put on a trailer if I build it.

So far the only scratch building I am doing is the hydraulic oil tank and PTO drive shaft and modding the walk out sleeper cab to the small roll down window of the smaller sleeper that we removed to create a day cab. You can see some of that in this video.

Edited by thejunkman

Awesome video, and great idea for a web show. Ive often thought of video documenting a build.

Thanks, I was not sure if the video would have much appeal. I kinda like making videos (I have made a little over 300 total) on various things that interest me.

I got the idea to do this for the model after doing 2 "seasons" of my "Barn Fresh" web show where I documented the restoration of two of my vintage motorcycles. And those are still some of my most popular videos on my website that get the most hits. I was even propositioned by a production company that wanted to shoot a pilot and try and sell it to one of the "Discovery Networks" family of channels but I turned the contract down as it was VERY one sided (not mine) and I would have to give up creative control. Besides this is all purely a hobby and I did not want it to "feel" like work and there were no guarantees that it would have been sold to a network.

Example of a "teaser" for my "F9 Project" gives you an idea of what I mostly do. This modeling thing is pretty new to me and just making it up as I go along and experimenting.

You've got some good work going on with this one, Man....As stated earlier, judging by the skills you've displayed with the weathering, alone, I'd say you've got what it takes to scratch up one of those trailers.....And as far as the CAT Challenger, you might want to check Bruder Toys for a 1/16 scale tractor as a starting point....They have several in 1/16 scale that might work....And they're pretty realistic....

I scored this one for about $30....

SAM_65411024x610_zpsa3c4ebe1.jpg

Edited by kilrathy10

I already have the 1/16th scale version of our CAT Challenger 45 to haul around ;) And I do have a 1/16th 30 foot disc to attach to it.

193_l.jpg

Some more "eye" candy of the "Real McCoys" in the interim until I get some more update video or pictures taken.

The two other trucks I would like to build as well, someday.

milo%20harvest%2006%20019_zpsazoxq0pp.jp

milo%20harvest%2006%20015_zpsqlbsibhg.jp

I already have the 1/16th scale version of our CAT Challenger 45 to haul around ;) And I do have a 1/16th 30 foot disc to attach to it.

193_l.jpg

Some more "eye" candy of the "Real McCoys" in the interim until I get some more update video or pictures taken.

The two other trucks I would like to build as well, someday.

milo%20harvest%2006%20019_zpsazoxq0pp.jp

milo%20harvest%2006%20015_zpsqlbsibhg.jp

Hey, that's great, Dude....See....You're already halfway there....

Jon, I saw your screen name and wondered if you were the same "Junkman" from the Thumpertalk motorcycle forums. After you posted the motorcycle video I knew you must be! It seems strange, but I have seen a few guys from those forums over on model truck forums lately.

Anyways, the KW is looking awesome! What are you using for the weathering on the frame and suspension? That looks great! Can't wait to see this finished.

Jon, I saw your screen name and wondered if you were the same "Junkman" from the Thumpertalk motorcycle forums. After you posted the motorcycle video I knew you must be! It seems strange, but I have seen a few guys from those forums over on model truck forums lately.

Anyways, the KW is looking awesome! What are you using for the weathering on the frame and suspension? That looks great! Can't wait to see this finished.

Yes I am that Junkman from Thumpertalk, and Youtube. BTW you can find my channel here www.youtube.com/thejunkman And as you may know I have a bunch of Farming videos up on my website as well. What is a motorcycle guy doing over on a model car forum? Well if you poke around my website you will see I have diverse interests. This one is a bit out of left field as this whole build is going to be a gift, however it has sparked my interest to replicate another vehicle from my past after I finish this. You will have to wait and see on that, I will hint that it will be car of some sort not a "big rig". I also have a Facebook page that I post frequently to about what ever I am interested in or working on that minute. So if you do the Facebook thing here it is "like" if you wish https://www.facebook.com/thejunkmansadventures

On the weathering. As you can see I have been weathering as I go keeping in mind where "dirt" and "dust" might naturally accumulate. A big help is I have the real thing I can go look at to reference. How I did it is a combination of "dirt" like colors (tans, beige's, browns, dark greens) sprayed or dabbed with everything from my air brush, rattle cans from 3 feet away, sponges, toothpicks, and even my finger. I have no rhyme or reason to the technique as long as it simulates the effect I am trying to achieve. The base coat of the frame is some left over automotive flat black primer from a restoration project. I found it gives a decent "scale" texture like the finish on a UV faded and worn paint that is on the real truck. Of course I paid attention to highlighting some fasteners and edges that would be worn from use or rubbed shiny from driving though wheat and corn stalks. I have thought about having a few corn stalks hanging from the front axle and other various catch points.

Oh and I have completely taken over my wife's craft shed (she crafts a lot so we always have plenty of supplies) I have a pretty good mess going on in here. I have shop air plumbed into here with a separate regulator/filter so I can get the 190PSI down to low pressures for air brushing or my orbital sanders.

11060452_966066553437776_340691520335414