Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Baldwin-Motion 427 Corvette

Kenny B

Ken, I hope you won't consider this as me talking down to you, but I'd suggest you use this wheel as a guide to painting the ones on your build.

13126.jpg

Occasionally we'll see someone only paint the spokes & neglect the back half of the rim, which really looks amateurish. You'll want to use a detailing brush (0/10) to work around the lug nuts.

While you're at it, give some thought to how the color of the wheel will look with the dark blue on your build. (See Snake45's picture in post #15) These 14 & 15 inch wheels weren't usually done up in glossy colors; they were mostly light, medium or dark (flat) grey, but there have been some done in a more metallic look that were also striking in appearance.

100_3208-vi.jpg

HTH

While you're at it, give some thought to how the color of the wheel will look with the dark blue on your build. (See Snake45's picture in post #15) These 14 & 15 inch wheels weren't usually done up in glossy colors; they were mostly light, medium or dark (flat) grey, but there have been some done in a more metallic look that were also striking in appearance.

HTH

I used to paint my Americans in either Pactra Flat Aluminum or Flat Steel, but since those are no longer available, most often these days I'll use Model Master Gunship Gray 36118. It goes with pretty much anything. Once in a while I'll do a set in Black Chrome Trim (semigloss black).

I used to paint my Americans in either Pactra Flat Aluminum or Flat Steel, but since those are no longer available, most often these days I'll use Model Master Gunship Gray 36118. It goes with pretty much anything. Once in a while I'll do a set in Black Chrome Trim (semigloss black).

Years ago, someone recommended Tamiya XF-66 (Light Grey) to me for these type wheels. The color's dead on, but brushing Tamiya acrylics is a PITA for me, for some reason.

Thanks to all for all the help on my clue bomb vette.

Monty thanks for the pictures they helped me out alot I appreciate it.

I decided to paint the rims. Well I look through my drawer of paints looking at all the greys I have and decided on Tamiya Gun Metal.

Sooo.....I start painting them and then the mirror falls off windows, steering wheel, firewall fall out followed by sidepipes. In a rage and a few nice words I calmly sit it down and walk away.

Well it's almost back together now and I will post some picks once she drys. Now I'm thinking that I should have went lighter in colour but we see.

Thanks again everyone.

Ken. :o:blink:

Thanks to all for all the help on my clue bomb vette.

Monty thanks for the pictures they helped me out alot I appreciate it.

I decided to paint the rims. Well I look through my drawer of paints looking at all the greys I have and decided on Tamiya Gun Metal.

Sooo.....I start painting them and then the mirror falls off windows, steering wheel, firewall fall out followed by sidepipes. In a rage and a few nice words I calmly sit it down and walk away.

Well it's almost back together now and I will post some picks once she drys. Now I'm thinking that I should have went lighter in colour but we see.

Thanks again everyone.

Ken. :o:blink:

When I saw the word "rage" I got worried but sounds like you got it all sorted out, or will.

I'm sure the wheels will look much better now, and whatever color you used will look FINE on this EXCELLENT model. Drive on!

Well the rims and side pipes are all painted and everything is all back together.

Let me know what you think of the rims now.

DSCN3955_zpsprccqmbx.jpg

DSCN3996_zpsaoi1kuxo.jpg

DSCN4019_zpsj6c8r1rc.jpg

DSCN4026_zps3mhg1cug.jpg

I used Tamiya Gun Metal on the rims. I did a light wash on the side pipes.

Thanks again for all the help and comments from everyone.

Ken. B)

I dig it!I like how you painted the spokes gray Halibrand style!

Just FYI, those wheels were painted a little darker gray in almost every case except the American Torq Thrust wheels that were a Shelby option in 1967 on Mustangs, those were the light gray like these