Model Cars Magazine Forum

Thinning Tamiya Fine Surface and Scale Finishes question

I'm just getting back into modeling and have a question about airbrushing the Tamiya Fine Surface Primer. What is the best thing to thin it with? Lacquer thinner? Also, will Scale Finishes paint work ok over the Tamiya primer? I've never used Scale Finishes paints before.

Thanks,

Jed

If you decant the primer, you won't have to thin it for your airbrush.

please note if you're using Tamiya's primer on resin, I've had problems with it "biting" into the resin...and yes I have scrubbed/cleaned the "dickens" out of the resin!

No problem with Scalefinishes paint o'er Tamiya's primers, works all the time!

good luck B)

You thin Tamiya bottled surface primer with Tamiya lacquer thinner. If you try any other lacquer thinner, you will have problems.

I am going to disagree and state the contrary position. I always use regular lacquer thinner to thin Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer and have never had any sort of problem with it. I shoot it through my Paasche VL airbrush just like any other paint thinned with lacquer thinner. I get great results and highly recommend the use of regular lacquer thinner with this Tamiya product. One does need to thin it quite a lot, though; it is a very viscous primer.

I am going to disagree and state the contrary position. I always use regular lacquer thinner to thin Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer and have never had any sort of problem with it. I shoot it through my Paasche VL airbrush just like any other paint thinned with lacquer thinner. I get great results and highly recommend the use of regular lacquer thinner with this Tamiya product. One does need to thin it quite a lot, though; it is a very viscous primer.

I wasn't sure if regular lacquer thinner would work, I have seen reactions with Mr Color Leveling Thinner and another I can't remember.

I've found regular lacquer thinners will work but I have had it craze plastic surfaces on occassion.

I'd try it on a piece of sprue from the kit you are useing first to avoid any grief.

Tamiyas' laquer thinners is ' Plastic Friendly ' and can be used without any issues. Its a great paint remover too.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/items/paints-finishes-60/finishing-supplies-62000/lacquer-thinner-250ml-87077