Model Cars Magazine Forum

This day in history: Volkswagen is founded

A factoid about the original VW! Did you know that Ferdinand Porsche used, as his parameters for the Beetle, the weights, measures and horsepower of the Model T Ford--which he is said to have considered the first "People's Car"? 100" wheelbase, light weight, 22 horsepower engine, even the interior dimensions and seating capacity?

Art

Mr Porsche used a lot of inspiration and ideas from Joseph Ganz and Hans Ledwinka (Tatra). Ganz had an idea for a

people`s car as early as 1933. Mercedes Benz also did a small rear engine concept. There are some good books on

the subject,sadly some of them have left out important information.

Mr Porsche used a lot of inspiration and ideas from Joseph Ganz and Hans Ledwinka (Tatra). Ganz had an idea for a

people`s car as early as 1933. Mercedes Benz also did a small rear engine concept. There are some good books on

the subject,sadly some of them have left out important information.

Yes there is many good books on the subject. Like the Birth of the beetle book written by Chris Barber.

For you Tommy there is a Norwegian book available at the moment from Veteran VW Klubbben (www.vwklubb.no) with the name "Historien om folkevognen" written by Peer Gretland in 1967. They just made a set of reprints of that book. I have read trough it and it is very good.

A factoid about the original VW! Did you know that Ferdinand Porsche used, as his parameters for the Beetle, the weights, measures and horsepower of the Model T Ford--which he is said to have considered the first "People's Car"? 100" wheelbase, light weight, 22 horsepower engine, even the interior dimensions and seating capacity?

Art

He also "borrowed" pretty heavily from Tatra for the basic design... so much so that Tatra sued.

Of course, once Hitler annexed Czechoslovakia in the early part of the war, that lawsuit was, uh... "dropped."

But after the war, Tatra took up the case again and was actually awarded compensation for their stolen design. B)

How it all began. First year of official production (1938). Notice the suicide doors and the shape of the hood opening. Also notice how little the car's overall design changed over the years.

first-beetle_zpsdtj62mz7.jpg

Of course, WWII interrupted Beetle production almost as soon as the car had appeared. During the war, military versions of the Beetle were produced in limited numbers, but due to the war (and the bombing of Germany's auto plants), actual production of civilian Beetles didn't really get rolling until the late '40s.

And the rest, as they say... is history! :D

Yes there is many good books on the subject. Like the Birth of the beetle book written by Chris Barber.

For you Tommy there is a Norwegian book available at the moment from Veteran VW Klubbben (www.vwklubb.no) with the name "Historien om folkevognen" written by Peer Gretland in 1967. They just made a set of reprints of that book. I have read trough it and it is very good.

Thanks for the info,i`ll check into the book,sounds interesting.

He also "borrowed" pretty heavily from Tatra for the basic design... so much so that Tatra sued.

Of course, once Hitler annexed Czechoslovakia in the early part of the war, that lawsuit was, uh... "dropped."

But after the war, Tatra took up the case again and was actually awarded compensation for their stolen design. B)

Ledwinka and Porsche often worked shoulder to shoulder on projects before the war. There was no lawsuit from Tatra

before/during the war,the lawsuit came form Joseph Ganz,who then where chased by Gestapo for blackmail,so he fled.

Remember Ganz was jewish. The history around this is far more complex then Porsche stole the design and that`s it.

Btw Volkswagen,the name was from 1923.

Edited by om617

Ledwinka and Porsche often worked shoulder to shoulder on projects before the war. There was no lawsuit from Tatra

before/during the war,the lawsuit came form Joseph Ganz,who then where chased by Gestapo for blackmail,so he fled.

Remember Ganz was jewish. The history around this is far more complex then Porsche stole the design and that`s it.

From wikipedia:

Both Hitler and Porsche were influenced by the Tatras.[1] Hitler was a keen automotive enthusiast, and had ridden in Tatras during political tours of Czechoslovakia.[1] He had also dined numerous times with Hans Ledwinka.[1] After one of these dinners Hitler remarked to Porsche, "This is the car for my roads".[1][2] while the book Car Wars, quotes Hitler as saying it was "the kind of car I want for my highways".[3] In any case, of Ledwinka, Porsche admitted "Well, sometimes I looked over his shoulder and sometimes he looked over mine" while designing the Volkswagen.[1][2][3] There is no doubt that the Beetle bore a striking resemblance to earlier Tatra.[1]Tatra launched a lawsuit, but this was stopped when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia. At the same time, Tatra was forced to stop producing the T97. The matter was re-opened after World War II and in 1961 Volkswagen paid Ringhoffer-Tatra 3,000,000 Deutsche Marks in an out of court settlement.[1][2]

Did not know this thanks Harry..

I too have heard (read) this before. But, being in the education field we do warn kids about using Wikipedia as a source Harry. For the most part Wikipedia is right on. But... In this case I've read this through other sources.

By the way, I'm very impressed by the knowledge you guys out there on this site have on automotive history. This has turned into another great thread to read.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

From wikipedia:

Both Hitler and Porsche were influenced by the Tatras.[1] Hitler was a keen automotive enthusiast, and had ridden in Tatras during political tours of Czechoslovakia.[1] He had also dined numerous times with Hans Ledwinka.[1] After one of these dinners Hitler remarked to Porsche, "This is the car for my roads".[1][2] while the book Car Wars, quotes Hitler as saying it was "the kind of car I want for my highways".[3] In any case, of Ledwinka, Porsche admitted "Well, sometimes I looked over his shoulder and sometimes he looked over mine" while designing the Volkswagen.[1][2][3] There is no doubt that the Beetle bore a striking resemblance to earlier Tatra.[1]Tatra launched a lawsuit, but this was stopped when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia. At the same time, Tatra was forced to stop producing the T97. The matter was re-opened after World War II and in 1961 Volkswagen paid Ringhoffer-Tatra 3,000,000 Deutsche Marks in an out of court settlement.[1][2]

Everyone can write on Wiki. It does not say here either that Ledwinka was jailed for 5 years for links to the Gestapo. It does not

even mention Ganz at all.

Here is some interesting read: http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2012/04/jewish-engineer-behind-hitlers.html

Everyone can write on Wiki. It does not say here either that Ledwinka was jailed for 5 years for links to the Gestapo.

Everyone can also post websites, true or false. ;)

Ledwinka's links to the Gestapo has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

How about a little known VW fact?? Volkswagen intended that US market Beetles were to be produced in the USA. They actually built a manufacturing facility near New Brunswick, NJ. in the early 1950s, but the exchange rates changed and became more economical to produce cars in Germany and ship them to the USA. That plant was sold to Studebaker, who thought it would be strategic to have an East Coast manufacturing plant. Enter the Korean War and Studebaker used that facility to produce vehicles for the US Army. Again, after they did an analysis, it became best to continue to produce cars in South Bend, so they never did produce civilian vehicles in New Jersey. The plant was sold to a large electrical manufacturing company, whose name escapes me right now, and it's still a production facility today... at least the last time I passed it, visible from Route 1.