Model Cars Magazine Forum

1991 Ford F-350 U-haul Truck

This build is also featured in the Light Commercial community build project, but I figured I would post it here as well for those who don't venture that way.

As the title states, this build will ultimately be a U-haul truck based on a 1991 Ford F-350 dually chassis-cab. It will be 2wd, and feature the 7.5L/460 V8 and 4-speed automatic. As for the kit, it's rather a mashup between parts from the Monogram F-350 dually kit, and the Monogram F-250 kit. I'm using both because I plan on using a majority of the Dually kit for another build, and thus only needed the badges, wheels/tires, and wheel spacers. I will also be shortening the cab to a regular cab configuration, and plan on rebuilding the rear chassis section.

An example of one (sorry for the large pic :P )

UHI_DC5692.JPG

Here's the cab shortened and the driver's side molding removed. The cab was already previously cut for a different project, so I had to use some scrap styrene to fill in the gaps. Once I get the molding removed on the opposite side, and the gaps filled on the back, then I'll be able to throw on some putty.

IMG_20150603_220256606.jpg

Huh, who'd a think a uhaul would be so popular..

That's the best part about building models, you can build anything no matter how mundane it may be!

Anyways, quick update. Been mostly glueing part-halves together, so nothing too interesting.

I did get the cab scratchbuilding done, so now it's on to putty, sanding, and primer.

IMG_20150608_204949905_HDR.jpg

I also picked up 2 sets of tires (8 tires total) that look a bit more appropriate than the (blank sidewall) Goodyear kit tires that I was originally going to use. These are blank as well, but the tread pattern will work better along with the more square shouldered look.

$_57.JPG