Model Cars Magazine Forum

Updating a Duece ?

I am currently in a 32 Deuce phase. I have built one with a Hemi, one with a 5liter Ford and heaven forbid one with a SMC, currently doing a Flat head. I have always thought the Super Charged V6 in the 90/92 T Bird Super coupes would make a great little hot rod mill. And since I have a 90,91and a 92 Super Bird kits. I thought I might rob some parts for my next project, a 32 3 window. I am also considering using the independent front and rear suspension. This is new ground for me so if anyone has done something similar maybe I can get some pointers.

Thanks

Jon

The front suspension from the T-bird "Supercoupe" wouldn't be at all appropriate for a light car like a '32 hot rod. The rear suspension, on the other hand, could be made to work very well.

A better (and pretty easy) choice for independent front suspension would follow real-world practice, and use the front crossmember and control-arms, spindles and brakes from AMT's "Phantom Vickie" kit.

Here, I've transplanted the Vickie front end, complete, into a '34 Ford. It's even easier to put it in a '32, because the Vickie IS a '32 Ford.

DSCN4261.jpg

To swap the rear suspension, you'll need to assemble the Supercoupe parts on the Supercoupe chassis to see where all the attachment points need to be. I usually do this kind of mockup fitting using tiny drops of liquid cement to just barely hold everything together.

Measure carefully, and make brackets or modify the rear frame rails of the '32 as necessary. Every build like this is different, even on real cars, so you just have to play it by ear. Pay close attention to the ride height you're going for, and measure frequently.

The Revell/Monogram '37 Ford coupe or convertible has a pretty nice independent front and rear suspension. The front is a typical Mustang II styled setup and the rear is a 'Vette unit. Both would be easily adapted to the '32 chassis. It's 1/24 scale like the SC T-Bird. So, a slight track width adjustment may be needed. Easily done with wheel offset. The T-Bird's IRS is probably quite a bit wider than your '32. You may want to check it before committing to it. Whatever you do, stick with the blown V-6!

This is what the '37 chassis looks like.

021-4.jpg