Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bare Metal 57 Ford

Pat Minarick

Now that really is BARE METAL foil! I can't imagine how long it must have taken to foil the whole body! Amazing work!

Sam

Thanks Sam,it took a couple of days to finish up all the foil.I did use a whole sheet on it. If you really think about it, it took a lot less time than a shiny paint job.

I'll be honest, the model isn't my cup of tea.

But I really like that bare-steel effect- good to keep in mind for projects that might require it.

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie, I hope you do try it sometime.

as i wrote in your wip...this metal look is a w e s o m e ! outstanding work.

Thanks again ,Dominik.

I love that metal effect, what a great idea you have come up with, it looks like real steel. The black roof looks great too, not sure about the skull, but it's your build,...... top job. B)

Thanks Dale, I wasn't sure about the skull either ,but it needed something.

Very cool idea , and it looks great ! :D

Thanks Bob.

Wow. I've been waiting for someone to try this. I did just a '34 Ford hood for the same efffect. I love the look of it, and would love to try it. I have some questions, if you don't mind?

How many sheets did it take to cover the whole car?

Did you do it in large panels or smaller strips?

How well does the overlaps of foil pieces disappear and did the wash help that or hinder that?

Was keeping large pieces of foil wrinkle free as you worked them, as frustrating as I imagine?

What grit sandpaper did you use?

2011-06-18073011.jpg

Thanks Rob, I was wondering why I haven't seen someone try it before. I used a whole sheet on the car and the trim.I might try aluminum foil next time. I used a lot of big pieces,but it wastes a lot. If you rip the foil at the seams instead of cutting it, it doesn't show as much. The sanding really hides it and the wash helps too. When you put the big pieces on ,start in the middle and work your way out. I use the paper stemmed Q-tip and cut one end off to get into the tight corners. I used 400 grit paper and stainless steel metalizers for a dollar couple of tight corners.