Model Cars Magazine Forum

This day in history: The last packard is produced

I always thought the Packard Hawk was cool looking, looks great in red. But all the Studebaker based Packards were such obvious badge engineered. Aside from giving US Packard dealers something to sell, they served another purpose. Packard had license to be in a lot of countries, especially in South America, where Studebaker didn't have license. So those badge engineered cars were sent into those markets. There were also Studebaker trucks badged as Packards for the same reason.

I always thought the Packard Hawk was cool looking, looks great in red. But all the Studebaker based Packards were such obvious badge engineered. Aside from giving US Packard dealers something to sell, they served another purpose. Packard had license to be in a lot of countries, especially in South America, where Studebaker didn't have license. So those badge engineered cars were sent into those markets. There were also Studebaker trucks badged as Packards for the same reason.

Studebaker trucks badged as Packards? Where did you get that information Tom? I know of no Packard trucks built after World War I. In fact your statement sent me searching through several books on the histories of both Packard and Studebaker, for Studebaker trucks badged as Packards. Including the most authoritative book on Packard history. Packard, A History of the Motor Car and the Company, edited by Beverly Rae Kimes and put out by Automobile Quarterly. There are no resources or references I can find of Studebaker trucks badged as Packards for sale overseas or anywhere else for that matter.

I wonder if you got this idea mixed up with Chrysler's use of the DeSoto nameplate. For years, past the last DeSoto automobiles, Chrysler built and sold trucks overseas using the DeSoto nameplate. DeSoto trucks were built in Turkey into at least the 1970's, that I know of. I'd have to do more research to find the exact date the last DeSoto trucks were built.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?81003-Packard-Truck&highlight=packard+trucks

Scott- The above link is to the SDC forums and tells the story of the1958 Packard pickups in Argentina.

PackardPickup001_zpsf2b81cdd.jpg

And yes, I'm familiar with the Desoto trucks. I lived in Turkey between 1966-8 and I remember my father pointing it out. In fact if I got through his whole slide hoard, I remember him taking a photo of one with me in it.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Thank you Tom for the above. I'm surprised I've never seen this mentioned any where else before. And you know something? I'm okay with being prove wrong in this way. I love it. Now I want one!

Scott

Grab an AMT 53 Stude, and build it

How can I build a Packard truck out of AMT's '53 Studebaker? The engine maybe the only thing of use. It would be easier to build the rest of the truck from scratch.

Scott

Scott, my mistake, you can build that beautiful car though...

post-8171-0-38851700-1435437713_thumb.jp