Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Hawaiian Charger Funny car

Thought id share my build of the 1/16 Hawaiian Charger Funny car, definately not going to turn out how the instructions had planned haha

Took alot of inspiration from Chris's Vega funny car build and decided to try my own funny car, so if you have seen Chris's build you may recognise some of my ideas i stole lol.

Straight out the box,

20150626_165031.jpg

20150626_165128.jpg

Rear end bracing, and then the rear end pinned in (later replaced with scale hardware)

20150629_181948_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20150629_182003_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Fuel tank strap made, tabs glued on frame then finished off with some 0.8mm nut and bolts from scale hardware

20150706_160434_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Steering support made up, then steering and rear end finished off with scale hardware again, 0.8mm nut and bolts and 1mm threaded rod and nuts

20150706_160450_RichtoneHDR.jpg

20150706_160540_RichtoneHDR.jpg

Seat was thrown in, Puke tank was made up, Puke tank is made up of a plastic barbed garden irrigation fitting i found in the shed, with some styrene glued on each end, also made the mount for the GO pedal.

20150711_163223.jpg

Front Spindles were drilled out and some 1mm threaded rod and nuts were put in place,

20150713_180842.jpg

Made up the brake handle, also added the lever which will be for the fire system, (looking for pics of how they connect if anyone has any) also scale hardware on that too,

20150713_184257.jpg

Lastly for tonight i cut the seat open so it can fill out the cage a little better, currently it is bogged up and will hopefully sand tomorrow night.

20150714_172220.jpg

Must say ive built a few diecast 1/18 cars. This is definately the most detail ive ever tried to put into a scale model. It is both very very frustrating but at the same time when you see what you have created at the end of the day it is so rewarding, hopefully i can keep pushing to get more and more into this model.

Still waiting on some rod and rod ends from RB motion, hopefully they arrive soon, only thing that sucks being so far away in AUS is the waiting time for delivery lol.

Let me know what you think,

Cheers

Brent

Brent... This is looking good. You are off to a great start. I really like what you are doing and honored that my build has inspired you. If you have any questions on how I did anything dont be afraid to ask. Looking forward to more progress on this. Keep up the great work.

Brent... you gotta have those words of encouragement. And sometimes you have to talk to those parts just right... lmao. I am working on a cad project but hoping to get some bench time in over the weekend on the funny car.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Pics of the Front end coming together, just got to round over the mounting brackets and add some styrene to them

Next up is to get the motor mounted and then figure out the steering, body supports and hinge system for the body. 

20150720_180624.jpg

20150720_180550.jpg

Edited by BrentFoster

Well got the front end nearly all sorted, gave it a coat of primer, more tidying up on it when it comes time to paint it tho. 

Also roughed in the engine mounts, little more filing on them to shape them properly and there good to go,

And the seat has been bogged up just need to sand that and cut holes for the belts to pass thru.

20150724_192423.jpg

20150724_192416.jpg

Tomorrow i hope to spend the day re-doing the brake lever with fire supression lever on it, broke the last one as it was just styrene, and the brake master too.

Also do the steering links and if enough time ill look at doing the side and bottom panels

Thanks for looking..