Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Advice on AMT / MPC Dodge Charger and Daytona kits

Hi, I'm wanting to build a couple of 69 dodge charger nascars. I know the bodies between the old issue amt dukes of hazard kit with the flush rear window and the MPC Charger 500 are the same bodies. Is the body on the AMT dodge Daytona the same? Basically can I just get a AMT dodge Daytona kit and fit a Modelhaus Charger 500 front grille (which is a MPC Charger 500 grille) with no body modifications and are the front fenders the same etc?

Any help would be great, thanks.

Edited by mopargreg

Someone recently posted that the only Charger 500 kit with the correct hood is the one molded in yellow with the orange built-up on the box art. All others have an incorrect Daytona/1970 hood with larger recesses.

Should you desire a correct '69 500 hood, Modelhaus offers them, you could cut down a Revell hood (they are slightly wider) or get ahold of a vintage MPC built-up - they have the correct hood.

Hi thanks for the input. That's basically what I figured. I was also thinking about a 1970 charger. I'm wondering if a MPC 1970 charger grille and bumper from modelhaus, fit in a newer release dukes of hazard or fast and furious charger from AMT? I'm thinking you would have to fill in the notch on the body from the bumper on the 69. But otherwise will it fit right in? Or will the 1970 mpc grille fit in a revell 68/69 charger body?

Has anyone tried it?

I'm wondering if a MPC 1970 charger grille and bumper from modelhaus, fit in a newer release dukes of hazard or fast and furious charger from AMT? I'm thinking you would have to fill in the notch on the body from the bumper on the 69. But otherwise will it fit right in? Or will the 1970 mpc grille fit in a revell 68/69 charger body?

Has anyone tried it?

I haven't tried that exact combo, but I have done the 69-to-70 conversion and found out that it's not just a straight parts swap (also, stay away from the AMT F&F kit unless you want to do some major correction work). The front fenders on the 70 Charger were taller and wider at the front to accept the updated grille/bumper.  It can definitely be done, but be prepared to do some cutting, bending, and filling.