Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need ideas...

I've always been a fan of the J.C.Whitney "Bolt-On" form of mild customizing that was popular in the late 50's and early 60's.  

For the '58 Impala, how about a tube or tooth grille, nosed & decked, dual dummy spotlights, dual mirrors, dual swept-back antenna's, lake pipes, full length cruiser skirts, '59 Caddy taillights and a full width connie kit.  I'd use the Revell kit since it has all of the chrome trim as separate pieces...... a great kit.  I did mine in Black but you could use your choice of color.

For the '59 Caddy, also nosed & decked, '59 Dodge Lancer spinner hubcaps (Modelhaus) (ala Larry Watson), or chrome reversed wheels, twin dummy spots, mirrors and antenna's, bellflower pipes (again ala Larry Watson), in Candy Apple Red...??

Just a couple of suggestions...

Once a long time ago, I saw a customized '59 Cadillac in a car magazine. It was not a featured car, but but pictured as a participant in an outdoor show. Never seen it before or since, but the image burned into my brain and stayed with me. (I believe it was in the Swedish "Wheels" magazine sometime in the '90s reporting on an american show)  Yes it was lowered, and yes it was chopped, but what really got me was the roofline. It had a somewhat flatter roof, with a fairly flat rear window and proper sail panels (Is that what it is called? Thick C-pillars.). Try to imagine the roof of an '65 Impala grafted on. Keep the windshield though. It worked really well, and the flatter more angular roof did away with the "inflated" look of the greenhouse without being too foreign looking. Actually it looked more at home than the original roof.  I've wanted to build one like that ever since. 

I don't think I would do too much with the rest of the body. The styling of a '59 Cad is outrageous enough in my book. If anything you could try to remove the Eldorado trim, that is - the large expanse of chrome going from the A-pillar and back along the body, and by the rear bumper doubles back and goes forward all the way to the front wheel - remove that. Then paint it in a nice Candy blue.

For interior I could suggest using the button tuft interior from AMT's '62 Custom Catalina, only because I like that style. Keep the Caddy dash but use the transparent Pontiac steering wheel.

I do not know what to do for rolling stock. It is a big car, and it needs big wheels. The stock ones look good though. You could always check out the ones provided with Revell's 48 Ford, or 49 Mercury customs, but I'm afraid they will be a little on the small side. I agree with you on not wanting to go modern big, but I don't think you should go smaller than stock either.

Hope this helps.