Model Cars Magazine Forum

NOMAD WHEELSTANDER - Belated Christmas - 1/13/16

That stance is up there and I like it on this 'pile o' BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH'.  LOL

Your wheels look exceptional.

I don't normally correct people's spelling, but you may have received the Blah Blah because you missed the "s" in Scrap. Just a typo I'm sure Brad. Feel free to blame the keyboard.

I love the stance too Pal. The best part is, it's adjustable depending on how the rear height ends up. But, that's adjustable too.

Well, it's only been too long since my last update. Good thing I've got something to show for it.

With the exception of the tie rod and steering link, the front axle is ready for it's initial assembly. Today I made radius rods and the under chassis brackets they will attach to. The rod axle brackets are currently free floating. If they need a whisper of CA after assembly, so be it. 

Getting the spindle / wheel connection right is what's taken the most time. Not to mention the polishing. Arrrrgh, the polishing!  I hope to get a jeweler's drill press soon. If I had it now, I would have gone straight through the wheel center, then use a nut so it could spin freely. But alas, thou art stilleth a rookie-eth, at the ancient ways and techniques and, yes, magix, that are involved in metal manipulation.

Enjoyeth the piceths.

20151116_213658.thumb.jpg.30df340ed9cec220151116_213719.thumb.jpg.33cfb56aa9ae9820151116_213935.thumb.jpg.1d69ab51593250

Edited by Nytrozilla

I think Joe has Zap-A-Gap-itis.  The things just aren't attached yet.  Actually, not a bad idea!

I think attaching the radius rods to the front axle is the biggest pita, along with 4 bars on the rear axle that a build can offer.  Geez, I need an extra pill to get that job done. 

Talk about screwing around....

After studying the photos, I guess I'm at a loss to understand the correlation to the batwings on the axle as orientated to the axle ends. Seem to be 90 degrees off. Please explain your plan.

I think I see what you're saying Pal. Everything is loose, I just laid the axle ends down instead of standing them up. Also the rear brackets are laying down. I'm sure that didn't help either. How's this?

20151117_133926.thumb.jpg.f045c62ac5c531

Hi Michael. I haven't put in an order for rod ends from RB Motion yet. I put tape on both inside surfaces of a flat nose plier. The length of each crimp is the same as the width of the plier to clear the brackets.

Edited by Nytrozilla

Yupper my friend. Vertical, horizontal, diagonal, cylindrical, hexagonal and conceptual. It's all loose. 

I'm going to try to get to the tie rod tonite and I also have to fabricate 4 U-bolts and a couple of brackets for them too, but that should be pretty straight forward.

Better now?

Joe, my sincerest apologies for not commenting on your front wheels btw......they turned out stellar.  cheers, tim

I'll take your word for it My Man. If anybody knows what stellar is, that would be you. And you feel free to chime in whenever the mood strikes or life allows. We really should talk again soon though.

This is one of those times when I poke my head in, tell you all I haven't gone INTERSTELLAR, get you all jazzed when I tell you I'm actually making progress and then have no pictures to show for it.

I am on my (hopefully) final steering knuckle / spindle production and will have a working set up shortly. I couldn't find a working combo of wire / rod diameter to nut size for the U-bolts, so I made brackets that the axle will slide through. The brackets bolt to the leafs. Trust me. :P

Alrighty Folk. Here's what we've been waiting for. To start assembly, I had to make some leaf retainer clips before attaching the axle brackets to the spring assembly. I took some of the same wire I used for the wheel spokes and flattened a long length with flat nose pliers and a roller. It was too easy to make a hook end, then wrap the wire around the leafs, cut to size, then crimp. No CA required to keep them in place. Lastly, I installed the axle brackets.

Nextly, notice that on the axle, only the left spindle tube is attached permanently. I'll glue the other end after I make sure the radius rods are positioned right. Once that happens, the springs and axle will be a permanent unit. Also of note on the axle are the two holes. Those are for shocks. Awwww Maaaaan, I gotta' make SHOCKS !!!???!!!

I guess the last thing will be the tie rod. Just a note: Everything is still loose so it may appear lopsided or off center. When it's all tightened, if that's still the case it's going in the trash compactor. :o;)

Enjoy.

20151121_213351.thumb.jpg.4ad86c7873d53a20151121_213400.thumb.jpg.c19edb4594f48520151121_213438.thumb.jpg.7e8f27e176ad47