Model Cars Magazine Forum

1978 Corvette

WizPorsche944

what a beauty! I actually recently bought two of these from revell ( the indy pace car editions ) I plan to do one pace car, and a anniversary silver corvette. I think I've catch the corvette bug lately, normally I don't buy vettes but have accumulated quite a few since

Pretty nice overall, but the stark black door and headlight panel lines don't make it.

It's a common mistake... almost everyone makes it. Panel lines are not black in reality, and making them black gives a toylike, "modelish" look that isn't realistic. Look at the photo that's the overhead shot of the hood and front end. Notice that the real panel lines (around the hood and between the body and front fascia) are not black... they are a darker shade of the body color.

One way to get realistic panel lines is to use a darker shade of the body color after you've finished paintuing... pretty much what you have done, only not using black.

But there is a better way, especially if you are using an airbrush to paint your body. I didn't think of this myself, several others here have posted it in the past, so I don't get the credit... but it's a good method so I'll pass it on. What you do is first, scribe the panel lines deeper on the bare plastic body, before any primer and/or paint. Most panel lines on model kit bodies are too faint and not realistically deep enough. Then go ahead and paint the body as usual. Bet here's the trick: after painting, add panel lines in black (yes, in black)... but then, you add a coat or two of thinned-down body color. Those final couple of coats tone down the blackness of the panel lines, and the end result is a very realistic look without those stark, modelish-looking black lines. If you've ever seen one of Marcos Cruz's models, you'll see immediately what I'm talking about... he uses this method.

• 1 month later...