Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferraris!

Sean W

Hi all.  I have a couple Ferraris on the bench right now, just kind of a coincidence.  I will be away from the workbench for about a week, so it was a good time to paint the bodies.  Being gone will keep me from putting my grubby mitts on them too soon.

ferraris_1.thumb.JPG.445ad66ee2218a69403

The TR250 is the Hasegawa kit, I was going to do a yellow and red scheme, but my yellow paint was kaput, no good.  Used up an old rattle can of Italian Red (Testors).  The Testarossa is the Revell "Miami Vice" kit.  That finish is airbrushed, the paint is one bottle of MM Pontiac engine blue metallic and one bottle of MM silver blue metallic thinned 1:1 with lacquer thinner.  Really pleased with both, these go a long way to helping me get over my phobia of painting bodies.  

tr_eng1.thumb.JPG.a69208a08a7d3be53fe642

Bottom of engine.

tr_eng2.thumb.JPG.1643afcee65b859c2069a3

Front.

tr_eng3.thumb.JPG.334781bb6b817243fd4220

Side.  Unfortunately the TR250 will be a curbside.  The guy I got the kit from took the engine for another project and I got the rest of the kit.  I love to build out the engines, so it was a bummer but it will look great on the shelf.  I will try to post a few more soon.  Thanks for looking.  Sean :)

ferraris_2.JPG

Thanks for the kind words everyone.  I did look into getting a replacement engine for the TR, just not enough in the wallet.  Hopefully I can get a complete kit, and do the chassis 0724 in yellow and red as I had planned.  

A real shame but understandable. Given the attention to detail you gave the Engine you had and the Beautiful Red Paint job on the TR250 it could have like a Faberge Egg when you opened the Hood, where you open a Jewel so you can revieal the next.

I'm guessing one of Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland's Ferrari 250 GTO Engines would fit rather nicely into the TR's Engine Bay. It'd be a real shame to leave that space empty.

Yep, I was just gonna say Rep&Min or HRM.  Same thing sorta.

Cool project, right up my alley will follow along

You did a fine job on the TR engine details and paintwork on both

Too bad for the 250 engine, it is a beautiful one for sure...maybe find one on E-Bay???

Its funny, I've seen those engine kits go for like $100 were as HRM is asking less then 1/2 that.  Give him a call, totally cool to deal with, him and Norm.

Edited by aurfalien

I'm guessing one of Replicas and Miniatures of Maryland's Ferrari 250 GTO Engines would fit rather nicely into the TR's Engine Bay. It'd be a real shame to leave that space empty.

Yep, I was just gonna say Rep&Min or HRM.  Same thing sorta.

Cool project, right up my alley will follow along

You did a fine job on the TR engine details and paintwork on both

Too bad for the 250 engine, it is a beautiful one for sure...maybe find one on E-Bay???

Its funny, I've seen those engine kits go for like $100 were as HRM is asking less then 1/2 that.  Give him a call, totally cool to deal with, him and Norm.

I see on E Bay the Revival of Italy 1/20 250 motors in the $50 range...I have dealt with them before for a Bugatti kit, they make nice stuff in plastic and metal combo.

what is HRM??? I can't find a reference for it

what is HRM??? I can't find a reference for it

Its Historic Racing Miniatures and they have a perfect 1/24 scale 250TR engine that looks awesome.  Its like ~$40 or so.

Them and Replicas&Miniatures of Maryland are fantastic to deal with.  Love those guys.

Here is a link to a vendor of theres.  But I suggest calling HRM direct.

http://www.islandcollectibles.net/prod022211.htm

hrm.250.jpg

Edited by aurfalien

Nice paint on that 250TR, It's a great kit, and I had a blast building mine. I would definitely hold off on finishing until I could score a new engine... a curbside 250TR just doesn't seem right, especially with engine work like yours! The color on the 512 is great. It's really reminiscent of a factory color called Blu California.

Those are both beauties Curtis...what kits are they??

They are both the Hasegawa kit. I've posted these pictures only to illustrate how good the kit engine can look in these things. Sean can decide to build the thing curbside and it will look great on a shelf. Or he can try to find an engine for the beast.