Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first diorama build (resto and custom shop)

mandojunior

Ive been working on this on and off for the last couple weeks. Ive ordered a set of scale shop tools and micelaneous things to fill it in a bit more. The c10 was my first build since i got into modeling about 1 year ago. The jurassic jeep is what im working on now. I think i will replace them with different cars later tough. I would also like to add led lighting. Ive seen alot of the work on the site and theres some really talented guys here. I wasnt going to post but i figure theres no better place to get some feed back and tips. All opinions are welcome.20150817_202137.thumb.jpg.5375c852eaba0f20150817_202327.thumb.jpg.297b8e28d09fb6

20150817_202201.jpg

20150817_201705.jpg

20150817_210607.jpg

20150817_201616.jpg

20150817_201307.jpg

20150817_201045.jpg

Great first effort, has a "real" look to it.  I built a 3 bay garage diorama several years ago and I think you will always be finding stuff to add to yours or replace older stuff with newer finds.  My only comment would be that you probably would not find a drive shaft still attached to a rear end/axle or a complete chromed front end, they would be in pieces.  Yours makes a perfect photo stage for all your future builds.

I think it looks great. If I was to suggest something it would be to make 1 of the side walls removable to make taking photos easier. That way you won't need such a steep camera angle. Nice work. The tools should reset it of.ok Mike.

Thanks, i would have never tought about that. I had a hard time trying to take pictures because i had my camera inside the dio and i couldnt always tell where it was looking

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the floors with a little bit of weathering pastel to dirty it up a little. Not a lot, but enough to make it look like it's been used. Might want to get the very lower edge of the wall, too. 

Set the engine on a couple of hollow tires; you'd never set it on the concrete floor like that. 

I agree- add some tools and similar objects. 

Very good start that can finish very nicely. 

Charlie Larkin

Hit the floors with a little bit of weathering pastel to dirty it up a little. Not a lot, but enough to make it look like it's been used. Might want to get the very lower edge of the wall, too. 

Set the engine on a couple of hollow tires; you'd never set it on the concrete floor like that. 

I agree- add some tools and similar objects. 

Very good start that can finish very nicely. 

Charlie Larkin

Charlie,how does weathering pastel work? Is it something you rub on,sprinkle on?i,m going to have to do some of that on mine too.

Charlie,how does weathering pastel work? Is it something you rub on,sprinkle on?i,m going to have to do some of that on mine too.

You brush them on with a small, stiff brush. Tamiya makes them, and they work very well from report- haven't used them, but I have spoken to people that have and they swear by them.

What I've usually done if I want something like this is thinned black paint for a little grime. Takes a little practice, but that can look very convincing, too. 

Charlie Larkin

• 2 months later...