Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mopar/ Duster Question

I was looking at Plymouth Dusters on the internet ans saw a 71 Cuda yellow black billboards and with interior. I saw a 71 duster yellow with black vynal top and stripes with white interior.  Are these factory correct or are they restored to somebodies taste?   I looked but never found the information on factory correct color options...

Hi Carl,

I can personally attest that just about any combo was possible back in those days.  The exception was with some of the "Special Packages", meaning for instance a Hemi package, or with Dodges  "White Hat" specials where a definite motor option and then only just a few body/interior offers available.

In other words, if you ordered the car from a dealer, you could get it any way that was listed.  Well, almost any way.  Lime green with a red interior was not available, as an example.

I was a Plymouth Salesman in 1971, used cars too.  This was just before my Active Duty.  I got the job as an interim before the war days started.  Lots of Mopars were sold back then.  I personally sold quite a few, and ordered for myself a red/white Duster 340 4sp.  Nice car!

Ma Mopar delivered quick too and was real happy to please.

Michael

............one guy in my home town bought a new 71 cuda....383 car, orange, tan interior, black billboards......a fellow up country had a 74 duster 360 met. gold, white factory stipes, black interior.....and when I bought my 73 340 duster in late 1975, it was yellow, black interior, black 340 stripes.....typical,,,,but, a guy in a small town over had the same 73 340 car, was red, tan interior, white stripes......these are the ones I can think of quickly, but there were some odd combos in the mopars......the ace.........<_<....oh, just remembered, Wayne Gallant bought his new 73 road runner at a local Chrysler store...it was black, med. blue bench seat interior, and white rr striping...sounds odd, it was very nice, though.....

Edited by AC Norton
text

Mopar had there ' recomended ' color combinations.

But it didnt take a whole lot of pursuasion to get most any color combo.

I know of a 1970 Challenger thats sand pebble beige ( a 'very' light tan ) it has a red painted roof and a red interior

I worked for a CP dealer from late 71 through mid 73. I ordered a 73 340 Duster in late May of 72.Car was delivered to the dealer August28th, I took it home on the 31st. It was one of the first 73's to be titled in NY for the first year of NYS going to titles. You can see the tail end of it in my avatar.

340, 4 speed, 3:23 Sure Grip, power discs, honey gold/parchment bench w/ rubber mats, AM/FM, Tahitian Gold Metalic w/ stripe delete.Your typical "plain brown wrapper" sleeper.

In mid September the dealer received another 340 Duster exactly as mine but with white 340 stripes. The dealer hadn't ordered it and they were stuck with it.

May 23rd of 74 I get hit head on by a drunk driver, 3/4 LF hit and my 340 is totaled. Engine shoved back over a foot, air cleaner ripped off and all the acid from the broken battery wound up in the engine. Insurance company wanted to fix it for $1,400 . I had a friend who was an independent adjuster look at it and he estimated close to $2,800 with an engine rebuild. The dealer I had worked for still had the non ordered 73 in their storage lot. Got a price to buy it for about $2,600 out the door. I made the mistake of not leaving a small deposit on it. Settled with the insurance company for $2,400 after deductible and me buying back the wreck.

Got my check mid July and paid off the balance of my loan. I was on the fence about buying the duplicate since the time frame was after the gas shortage. I waited about a week to long and it had been sold.

Lessons learned!!!!

Edited by VW93
color correction