Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt - Mpc - Polar Lights: The Official Press Release

Wow...

While the dust gets stirred up here, I'll just say that I'm happy that someone (who apparently cares) "owns" the AMT/MPC/Polar Lights tooling. Even if new or modified tooling never sees the light of day, at least we know that the old stuff can be reissued and available again. I'm too broke and too short on space to hoard kits!

Not to dwell on this too much seeing How ICM Models has nothing to do with the topic at hand, But I don't see why you are having trouble finding ICM models in stock anywhere. Tower Hobbies has their full line in stock ready to ship. There are literally dozens of mail order companies showing them in stock. Just last week I got six 1/72 scale ICM kits.

As for AMT, you can be a gloom and doom if you want to, I don't care, but thier tools haven't been in mexico for over a decade. I'd point out everything else you gotten wrong in this thread, but I wouldn't want people to think that I'm "attempting to purport that I know something more than someone else - or implying superior knowledge"

You know, I think you are a talented model builder, I especially liked your builds of the 427 Cobra, and the Porsche 911 GT2, and heck I think if it wasn't for your habit of personal attacks and talking out of your posterior, we might even get along. You and I seem to have the same taste in models, and I like the way you build. That said If you're really jonesing for some ICM kits, PM me and I'll send you a link where you can buy them.

Thanks and I owe you an apology for my inappropriate behavior.

To be honest, I don’t doom and gloom over AMT. I am happy that something is happening with their tool bank, but I am also a realist. I know we are not going to see releases next week and a new tool in the next year.

I always thought we could get along, and I really don’t know what always gets in the way of that.

Like I said I have been looking for ICM mainly Spits but wouldn’t mind a few more Mig-3s. I’ve been to Tower and they have a very limited selection to what they once had.

Call it a gut feeling, but I actually would not be surprised to see this new venture ramp up fairly quickly. Here's why: Unlike with Jo-Han, the AMT/MPC/Polar Lights tools and equipment haven't been lying dormant for years. In fact, I believe there is still some production taking place on a limited basis, so it's not like it's going to take a lot to get things rolling again. Also, it's not like this is an outfit that's starting from scratch, like, say, Accurate Miniatures did.

I actually wouldn't be at all surprised to see a new-tool AMT/Auto World kit within a year's time. Delighted, yes, but not surprised! <_<

Chris, here is something you may or may not be aware of: Another thing that separates this from a lot of the new model company ventures of the past is that this one is very well-funded. Tom Lowe was the man who founded Polar Lights/Playing Mantis, which was a highly successful company in its own right, and he made a bundle selling that company to RC2 a few years back.

Just thought I'd throw that out for informational purposes!

That could be, we all know it takes a good chuck of money to make these things happen.

AM2 had all, well most of AM1s tools after they got them out of the Shanghi pawn shop. LOL

I predict we will see a hand full of rereleases this year and maybe a new kit in 09. That is just my prediction and we will wait and see.

:huh:

Edited by CAL

Exactly!!!!!

Opinions are welcomed, and respected, and tolerated.

But, if you start getting personal, making attacks at others, I will step in.

You can say what you want, think, or feel.

Just don't attack someone.

I am da boss, remember..... :D

Now you guys know why I posted all those requests for what kits you would like to see from AMT.

Tom and John are great people, and I had a blast with the "Roudy Bunch" at the Chicago iHobby Expo a couple of years ago.

I think John owes the next round......

GREGG!

Yes indeed, I'm buying the next round - I hope you like MOLSON CANADIAN!!

JG

Congrats to John and Tom...Best of luck with this venture! As a long time model car builder, I will do my level best to buy what arrives on the shelves, and strikes my fancy from this exciting news! Thank you!

Hey, I like Molson Canadian...One of our biggest exports these days, I think!!! It tastes better here, though...my opinion!

I'm hoping that this will be a great re-start.

I'd love to see a combination of re-issues, new tools, and broken tools repaired and placed back into circulation.

I, for one, would love to see both the 1949 Olds and 1950 Studebaker. I was mightily disappointed when they didn't do either of them.

I also think that serious thought needs to be given to re-patriating the tools. Ever since even moving the tooling to Mexican production, I saw quality take a nose-dive, and don't even start me on the Chinese production. As to profitability...well, Lindberg is making its kits in America and selling them at competitive prices. Perhaps at a smaller margin, but they're moving product, so I'd venture to guess any loss is minimal. I do agree that paying premium kit prices for less-than-premium kits is a sure-fire recipe for suicide; being blinded by the motive of pure profit can sometimes lead to poor decisions.

I was surprised about some of the comments about the modeler-demanded kits not doing well. I remember when the Edsel was released my local hobby shop couldn't keep them in stock, nor could he get enough. Same with the new-tool '57 Chevy, '58 Plymouth, and some of the other really good mid-late 1990s A.M.T. kits. I figured maybe they wouldn't do well with the mass market, but now that they're more-or-less out of the picture, with Wal-Mart dropping kits, I think focusing on model and car enthusiasts want lists may in fact be more lucrative.

On the subject of creating demand, I was (and still am toying with) starting my own model manufacturing venture. Realizing that lack of exposure has been harming the hobby, I spoke to Hemmings Motor News about their advertising. Now that I know a principal of A.M.T. redux is posting and reading, I'd like to offer an idea. Hemmings' ad rep said they would LOVE to start taking ads from the kit companies, not just the diecast makers. I don't mind divulging this little piece of informaiton because I think it's to all our benefit. As a lot of the guys that read Hemmings are hands-on, they might enjoy building a few kits, and if pitched as something fun to do with kids or grandkids, it might just work. Toss in some of the educational benefits, like teaching following directions, sequencing, eye-hand coordination without going blind in front of a video game, learning to be patient, and things like that, and you'd have a good sales tactic to parents.

Lastly, I have my own little wish list I'd like to see issued. I realize most of these won't be, but I'd like them on the record anyway.

1. 1942 DeSoto. Any body style, those hide-away headlights are just soooo cool!

2. 1941-42 Chrysler Town & Country.

3. 1951-54 Hudson Hornet (I personally have access to a large number of these, if you're interested, let me know and I'll be happy to hook you up.)

4. 1977-90 Caprice/Impala, or a full-size Chevy with the parts to build either/or. I liked the photo-etch parts in the Pro-Shop '57 Chevy, that'd solve the scripts/trim issue easily.

5. 1979-91 LTD Crown Victoria.

*for either #4/5, make sure police and civie parts are included.

6. A mid-fifties Buick or Olds (or do both, I'll buy at least one of each.)

7. A 1957 Dodge Sweptside pickup.

8. More Forward Look cars, regardless of division or body-style, but I'd personally love to see a Dodge Sierra or Plymouth Suburban.

9. 1970-96 Full-size GM/Ford/MoPar wagon. Just pick one and do it! Well, you can pick two...or three...or more, I won't get mad if you do a bunch.:lol:

10. For a little mass-market appeal, and still something I'd like to see anyway, I'd love to see a 1970-72 Olds Vista Cruiser, ala That 70s show.

Overall, though, I think we have a really good shot at being successful. Give it time, folks, and I think we'll see good results.

Charlie Larkin

Guest Davkin

I'll be happy to buy whatever they release that I'm interested in that's good quality and is reasonably priced. I'm not going to buy expensive, poorly molded kits of subjects I don't want just to support them. Of all the models they've announced so far there are only two that I'm interested in.

David

Of all the models they've announced so far there are only two that I'm interested in.

I wish them well, so far there is nothing on the list that interests me to buy. I either already have it, or don't want it, and my stash is full of "supporting them so they make more". I'm sure they've got something up their sleeves that piques my interest. It's interesting to see everyone's wish lists; most of it is 40-50 year old antiques. I doubt if AMT had been issuing primarily 1920's subject matter (antiques) in the roaring 60's that they would have had anywhere near the success they had. Back then builders were excited about new cars. I hope they have some good ideas for modified reissues of some of their better/more interesting kits.