Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell's '29 Model A

2002p51

Hi Drew, I like the build. Where did you get the salt flat disks from? I love the color choices and overall feel of the model.

As I mentioned in another thread, I still believe the front rails has been lengthened to accommodate the long nailhead engine. This is a hot rod trick usually done on T buckets. In the mock ups I have done you can see in the pictures how much longer the frame rails are in the new kit. I do not believe that is just lengthened horns but somewhere aft of the front cross member. I plan on building a model A framed highly like the yellow car found on the cover of Hot Rod Deluxe from a few months ago. I like the model, I won't ever build it straight out of the box and gives me great parts. That is how I look at and approach model cars today

0928151919.jpg

0928151920.jpg

Hi Drew, first off congratulations on a very nice model.  I don't know if yhou remember me but nearly 20 years ago you put my IMCA modified in your column.  Like you, I drive a full size Model A hot rod (daily when I can) and like you I often anguish over matters of proportion and stance when it comes to hot rods.

I would like to suggest that the problem with this kit is not the kit itself but the real car style it replicates.  Quite simply, Model A roadsters on Model A rails, whether they be channelled or hiboy have that huge gap underneath,  The dead straight rails of a stock Model A frame just keep everything else suspended way too high off the ground.

I can recall that when the price of 32 rails, either original or repro, went ballistic in the late eighties/ early nineties, there were a bunch of fenderless Model As built here in Western Australia with the Model A frame and they all had a similar stance to the one on your model that so bothers you.  It's just the way it is.

When you go back through late fifties/early sixties magazines there were some really slinky Model A lowboys featured but if I recall they often used a suicide front end that got the front of the frame way down, helping the stance and closing up the unsightly gap.

Put another way, imagine the gorgeous Niekamp or Dick Flint roadsters without their bellypans - they too would have that huge gap underneath them!

Don't know if that makes you feel any better about it but I bet you like your next model on 32 rails much more betterer!

Cheers

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...