Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Firebird (Exterior Details) 2 Jul 2017

taaron76

Tim, another great build under way. looking forward to it. Did you finish your Chrysler yet???

Carl, not yet.  I broke the front windshield, ordered another one, misplaced the new one and ordered another yesterday.  lol  Hopefully next week after the part gets here.  Thanks!

Tim

Ok.  So see how you have your hinges now? They pivot inside the fender and go into 2 tubes inside door. Flip the hinge and put the pivot in the door and the 2 tubes on the fender.  That way the door pivots and the hinge does not move.  Here is one I did.  I will show a pic of how it works in one second here

• 3 months later...

Now that storm Jonas has hit and left around 3 feet of snow, I made some time since I couldn't leave the house and sprayed some color.  Gravity Colors Crystal White Pearl and a matte finish.  I wanted something different instead of a glossy finish for this one.  A long ways to go yet, but hopefully this will motivate me to get it finished.  It's really hard to see the pearl until you get up close and in the light, but I wanted something faint and this was exactly what I was looking for.

Tim  

DSC_0287.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

If it were mine, I would do trim stock Chrome and leave bumpers Chrome.  Slam some tan guts in it and have a classy pro touring rig

I was thinking the same thing, but will probably go with black interior.  I'm trying to see it with tan, but I can't picture it.  Any pics?

Tim

• 1 year later...

I resurrected this one from the dead:

I usually don't have two builds going on at once, but I started this '68 Firebird kit a few years ago. The color was a matte finish, but I had some issues with the doors, trunk and hood that turned out a slightly different shade of white than what it was supposed to be. I pulled it out of the box and stripped a few days ago and will be painting it soon. The color will be BMW Crystal White Pearl with Gloss clear from Gravity Colors. Bumpers will be the body color as well, and the wheels are a custom mix gold that I mixed up a while back. It will be a mostly stock build, but I haven't decided on the interior color just yet. Seems like the most logical is white or black.  I also re-hinged the doors to swing in, versus out.  Thanks Fred!

IMG_9419-vi.jpg

Cool start Tim. How did I miss this one a while back.... Oh yeah I know.... i was gone for awhile lol.

You were, and right after I posted the last update, so was I.  I took 1 1/2 years off from the bench... we had too many things going on.  lol

Tim

Made some engine progress on the '68 Firebird. The engine color is the same as the color of the wheels, if you were wondering why the color gold. Was looking for something different to offset the white pearl the body will be painted. Still waiting for the aluminum pulleys to come in so I can mount the alternator and finish up the engine.

Tim

FullSizeRender69-vi.jpg

FullSizeRender70-vi.jpg

FullSizeRender71-vi.jpg

I'm really intrigued by the shade of gold you mixed up for the engine and wheels.  Any chance I could talk you into sharing the "recipe"?  

Also, looks like you nailed the color of that Holley carb.  This project will definitely be worth watching.

I'm really intrigued by the shade of gold you mixed up for the engine and wheels.  Any chance I could talk you into sharing the "recipe"?  

Also, looks like you nailed the color of that Holley carb.  This project will definitely be worth watching.

Monty,

I wish I could remember what I used, but can't even remember all of the colors that I put into the mix.

The carb color is Tamiya Titanium Gold, straight out of the jar.  I find that color works perfect for carbs, followed by a light wash.

Tim